can anyone help a first time builder with a vraptor question plaese?

jc6699

Weaksauce
I have 2 velociraptors on a gaming pc I'm attempting to build, my question is, I want to set them up to get the best performance in games and my OS vista 64 ultimate sp1. I'd appreciate any step by step help I can get.

asus rampage formula
q9450
2x velociraptors
2x 4870's xfire
corsair hx1000
cORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) dual channel kit desktop memory
samsung lnt4681f
logitech z5500 speakers
soundcard, unsure atm
coolermaster cosmos S

Are you thinking about RAID for performance gains? Or are you thinking of some partitioning scheme to separate your OS from your data and whatnot?

I suppose RAID0 with 64kb stripe would be the general recommendation, but of course, you would also hear arguments against RAID0 such as lack of data redundancy, less complicated, etc.

Going from 1 Vraptor to 2 Vraptor in raid 0 will gain you a whole net of 0% performance boost for gaming.

ory for being such a noob but what does 64kb stripe mean? and how do I set that up? also should I keep the OS and whatever on the first drive while keeping games on the other?

ory for being such a noob but what does 64kb stripe mean? and how do I set that up? also should I keep the OS and whatever on the first drive while keeping games on the other?

first of all, the only gaming benefit you will see from 2 x drives in RAID0 vs a single drive is a small decrease in load times and I mean SMALL

that said, the best thing to do would be RAID0 and of the 600GB array you have, make about a 100GB partition and put Windows and all your games on that
use the remaining 500GB for whatever

and of course backup any important data to another drive, regular images of that boot partition wouldn't be a bad idea also

You can try OS on one drive and programs and page file on the other, but since velociraptors are 300gb you'd wind up with a lot of excess space...

that said, the best thing to do would be RAID0 and of the 600GB array you have, make about a 100GB partition and put Windows and all your games on that
use the remaining 500GB for whatever

Wouldn't it be better to separate by the physical drives? Meaning, put the OS on a small partition (~25GB) on the first drive, and a second partition holds data (movies, music, whatever).
The second drive is where you install your games and software.

That way you keep the game data on a physically separate drive so one drive is never trying to access OS data while also accessing game data.

Wouldn't it be better to separate by the physical drives? Meaning, put the OS on a small partition (~25GB) on the first drive, and a second partition holds data (movies, music, whatever).
The second drive is where you install your games and software.

That way you keep the game data on a physically separate drive so one drive is never trying to access OS data while also accessing game data.
No, the OS isn't going to randomly start using the drive unless you tell it.

Back