can anyone give me a Windows XP Home Edition Image File?

AmongTheChosenX

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm fixing my cousins computer, and the lost the XP Home Edition CD. IT HAS A VALID LICENSE AND COA. I'll take a picture if you want.

I JUST NEED THE IMAGE FILE, NOT A KEY!

Microsoft does limit distribution of these (As to... none), so this will probably end up locked.

Go ahead and get the XP Home disk from anyone else that may have them, and go from there would be my suggestion...

Also, I wouldn't trust anything given to me by anyone online, anyways.

Just download an image and run a SHA1 and MD5 hashes on it to verify it's legitimate.

OEMs get a discount for not including a CD to annoy customers.

It doesn't matter if it's legit, if the box has the COA sticker on it, if the key is legit, etc... I could go on and on. There is no legitimate - aka legal - way to download a CD image for XP Home, period. XP was never licensed for online distribution and can only be legally distributed as a proper hologram CD.

And for those talking about using MSDN/Technet releases, those aren't licensed for personal use even if you are paying for the subscription from your own pocket. MSDN/Technet is for developers, and the software acquired through subscriptions are legally entitled to be used for that purpose and nothing else.

Folks, you're throwing around the term "illegal" where it doesn't apply.

Quick reference:

* Individual offering, for free, a copy of license restricted software they own with a value of less than $1000 to another individual (federal definition) = license violation (disputes handled in civil court). I don't know of any jurisdictions where this rises to a criminal level. The value of the software determines the court it's handled in. In California, disputes under $5000 are usually handled in small claims court.

* Individual or organization selling 10 or more copies of license restricted software with a total value of $2500 or more in a 180 day period = criminal copyright infringement (federal). Also actions can be brought in civil court as well.

This site has a nice summary.

The point being: if you could end up in a court of law (regardless of the criminal or civil aspects) over copying a disc, then somewhere you're breaking a law, period.

The bigger point being: this forum doesn't condone theft, period, and allowing people to make requests like the OP's post and the topic itself blaring out "gimme gimme gimme a copy of XP..." in not so many words could have repercussions on the forum.

I am still surprised the Mods have not locked this one down or deleted it outright...

It's not a big deal. An EULA != law. And even in this case, the rule that would be broken was an agreement between MS and the computer manufacturer in exchange for a discount. The manufacturer will sell the OP a disc, or sometimes even give it away for free.

For practical purposes, it would be easier to download it and just check the hashes. /shrugs

It's not a big deal. An EULA != law. And even in this case, the rule that would be broken was an agreement between MS and the computer manufacturer in exchange for a discount. The manufacturer will sell the OP a disc, or sometimes even give it away for free.

For practical purposes, it would be easier to download it and just check the hashes. /shrugs

A contract = law... Simply, to an extent, what the EULA is. When you install, you accept it.

The terms of an EULA are not law, although some things in it may be. For example, an EULA may forbid you from making "unlawful copies" because it recognizes that not all copies are unlawful, as in back ups.

Enforcement of EULA terms is almost always a civil matter (contract), not criminal. In fact, I can't think of a single criminal case ever based on an EULA. Someone selling imported education-bound copies of Windows or Office, as with a recent court action, was a civil case for example. Borrowing an install CD to use with a legitimate key is in no way criminal. If you believe it is, please point out the relevant U.C.C., state law or other legal statute. I'll wait.

I'll give you a hint: start with criminal copyright infringement and prepare to be disappointed.

A local computer store near me has no problem making copies of the windows disc as long as i can provide a key, ive used this service myself and they dont even charge for it. Not quite the same but my input none the less.

If computer sellers like HP, Dell etc. gave the customer a copy of the disk in the first place then he probably wouldn't be asking. Now they just put an image file on the HDD so if you wipe the HDD then you are fucked. HP etc. are to blame for fucking over the customer by not providing a disk of the OS that the customer paid for. They will usually send you a hard copy for a fee though.

That was my case. I had a hp at the time and it came with some yucky 40gb hd. It died on me along with the windows install with it. The shop made me a xp disc and i was good to go. That copy is still running on a old computer in the house to. But ya the hd version instead of the disc version suxs.

Back