Can anybody help? I'm having trouble using 1200x1920

nym-ph

n00b
Hi,

I'm having issues with a Samsung 245b in 1200x1920 resolution.

I can't really tell, but I think the refresh rate seems slower then it actually is configured (it's at 60hz).. Or maybe it's just slower now dragging windows and scrolling pages... Also, it seems that the image is not as sharp as it was before...

This does not happen using 1920x1200... Having a vertical monitor really does help me with my coding..

Btw, I'm using a D-Sub connection and DVI is not an option. Maybe it as something to do with it?

It does look good in 1920x1200... 1200x1920 however.. :\

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe the loss of sharpness is due to ClearType thinking that the sub-pixels are placed in horizontal order, whereas they're in vertical order. Try disabling ClearType, or try tweaking it. I don't know if it's possible to tweak, though.

Just did what you told me. It does look sharper... But overall I don't think it's better then before. :(

Anyone having/had this issue?

Thanks CutterX

Text will never look good in portrait mode. The pixels are oriented in a different way and windows doesn't support cleartype in portrait mode. Basically don't use cleartype. The pixel orientation and the way windows renders it will never look as good as in landscape mode.

I've been looking into this..

wagsrules and CutterX are right, there is actually no solution from Microsoft at the time for this issue...

Disabling ClearType will resolve it, but it's really not a solution :( ClearType is really usefull...

Thank you everyone for the help!

It may also help to run the auto-adjust for clock and phase since you're using VGA, not sure if it'll change for portrait vs. landscape.

This older thread has some very close-up pictures of LCD pixels:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1262785

It's apparent that the Cleartype algorithms for landscape mode aren't going to work in portrait mode. It never occurred to me that Cleartype wouldn't have algorithms for portrait mode, though.

This older thread has some very close-up pictures of LCD pixels:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1262785

It's apparent that the Cleartype algorithms for landscape mode aren't going to work in portrait mode. It never occurred to me that Cleartype wouldn't have algorithms for portrait mode, though.

You would think that Microsoft would support cleartype and portrait mode. It wouldn't think it would be that hard to make cleartype work in portrait mode. :confused:

Back