Can an external USB drive be used as a Network Storage device?

geckoman

Limp Gawd
I have been wondering if there was a way to put my 160gb external drive on my network so I can access it from any of my computers.. is there a way to hook it up to my router?

If you share it out from a computer on your network you should be able to access it from any where on the network.. but as far as hooking it up to your router dont think its possible because you dont have a NIC built into your external hard drive..and I dont know of any routers off hand that have usb ports for accomplishing what you are wanting to do. I know they have a usb port for hooking it up to the pc if you dont use patch cable but I think if you use this usb port it disables your network ports ( RJ-45 ports ) not sure on the last part never tried using both at same time.. HTH

nomak said:
and I dont know of any routers off hand that have usb ports for accomplishing what you are wanting to do

There are a couple of SOHO routers that have USB ports for sharing external hard drives. I remember the topic coming up in a prior thread.

EDIT:
I knew I wouldn't be able to say there was one out there without searching for it again:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT634U.php

Even has a list of USB drives verified to work with it.

Back