Can an aging psu cause system to shut off?

merc68

Limp Gawd
My computer shut off during gaming the other night.No BSOD or anything just completely shut off. It is the first time it has happened and if it doesn't happen again fine but if it does can it be a psu issue. I have HWinfo running while gaming and the highest temps on the cpu was 65c and the video card was 79c and those are fairly normal for this machine. I just blew out the case and psu of any dust a couple weeks ago. The current psu is a Cooler Master 700w silent pro that is about 4-5 years old I think. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Check the voltages, look for variation under load.

YEs a Aging power supply can cause the system to shut down , especially when load is being put on it such as running a Game. Have you looked at your motherboard if you have any swollen capacitors as well?

I watched voltages while gaming and they all seemed to stay within specs. I haven't looked at the mobo but it is only a year old or so while the PSU is four years old so I would think that is more likely. In fact I wasn't aware it was that old until I looked it up on my New egg history. I don't think I have ever used one that long and may just replace it just in case.

Staying within specs isnt the issue.
What are the voltages you observed?

I may have been wrong anyway. I install the Asus monitoring suite and it show 3.32, 4.96, and 11.90 under a load

Last edited:
I dont know what you think you have been wrong about.
The voltages you gave dont tell me about any variation.

Sorry, at idle I show 3.328, 4.96, and 12.192 so basically there is only a drop on the 12v

Another thing that can cause sudden shutdown is bad RAM. Run Memtest for at least 3 passes.

Back