can a virus disable sound files ?

the snake

[H]ard|Gawd
am cleaning a friends vista 32 laptop out, it had some nasty spyware and viruses, but i was able to run combofix to get it back to normal, and removed mcaffe and AVG he had on it, and installed MSE.

i fixed all that but there is still the issue of no music will play, the audio drivers looked okay, but i un-installed them and reinstalled drivers, still nothing.

the icon in system tray shows a X in the sound deal, and it shows 0 for volume level, but i am sure the audio is set to work in control panel.

when i go to play something in WMP it tells me "no audio device availiable"

foobar2000 gives me an error as well, something about access is denied.

they had the same sound issue before i cleaned it out of crap, even system sounds do not work.

what am i missing here ?

i could format and re-install, but i would have to backup a bunch of stuff first

any advice ? ?

also i just noticed that i cannot install SP1 on this, it errors out, WTF ?

Viruses corrupt dll files in windows NOT sound files. Ive never heard of a sound disabling virus LULZ. Uninstall the sound card, reinstall in the drivers. If its a desktop that port might be bad try another slot.

Go into the device manager and disable the sound device, reboot, and then let Windows auto-detect it and go from there.

That won't help. If you disable a device, Windows won't touch it until you reenable it. Uninstall, on the other hand..

Back