Can a video card work without a capacitor?

chomsky

Limp Gawd
Hey, I just ordered a gigabyte x800xl refurb from newegg (the one with the gigantic kickass passive cooling) and the packaging on the inside of the box wasn't setup right and the card arrived with a broken-off capacitor. The capacitor also has some black chip attached to the bottom of it. Because this is my first pci-express card I won't be able to test it for at least another week. Is there any hope it'll work or should I just send it back now?

i can say NO NO NO

just today @ work, i broke off a cap on a videocard, and said hmm, fuck it, since it wasnt COMPLETLY broken off, i just kinda pushed it back down...bad idea

powered oin and a nice pppffftttt of smoke came out and it stunk like dead rotting fish in here...

so no, i wouldnt do it

btw it was just a lousy radeon 7000 so its no big loss, plus we just send it back to reseller :)

I figured as much. I filled out an RMA on it and I just hope newegg gets a replacement out to me soon. Thanks

I would definetly return it, but they can sometimes work, the prime example being the 6800 non-ultra's that CompUSA had on the day after thanksgiving for $199. SEVERAL people had the same capacitor fall off, and they worked, seemed to affect the overclocking tho.

But there is no doubt i'd return it.

Back