Can a switch be used for LAN gaming instead of a router?

I was looking at this switch: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-115&depa=0
for setting up an LAN for my computer, and for mini LAN parties, and I was wondering it it can be used for networking computers together only, not to the internet, because they are cheaper than routers. Sorry if this seems n00bish, I just have not messed as much with networking. Also, I have some crossover cables laying around, so that is not a problem.

well, you have to take into account several things.

im assuming that you have broadband that offers one IP for your account. So if you were replace your router, you would need something that would act as a router, ex: a PC acting as a router. You need to install software on your computer that would act as medium to hand out IP's (DHCP), handle dns requests (DNS server/fowarder) and NAT.

But yes to your question, you could do it. But you need to have a PC replace the functions of your router. You could just plug your broadband modem to the swtich, but only one machine would get an IP while the others would just sit there idle with no real world IP.

This is not noobish. In fact, back in the days of Quake (that's Quake 1, kids), LAN parties were all about using hubs. Then, people started getting fancy with switches! Someone would bring in a Netgear switch and we'd all worship it as the owner held it above his head like a golden calf...

..yeah, anyway, you should be just fine with many games when it comes to browsing for LAN games and all you have is a switch (or even a hub). You just have to make sure everyone is setting up their network settings properly, or that you have a DHCP server sitting somewhere to handle DHCP broadcasts.

More power to ya otherwise, go for it!

um, to the first replier, my PC has a wireless PCI card for the internet, so the network port is free. Also, I think I know how to set up the IP's my friends don't though, so if you know of any guide to help that is meant for XP home, that'd be great. Plus, I happen to have some crossover cables anyways, because I ordered like 1, and my work just gave me like 5 because they didn't want them...o_O but it's cool, and they work.

I noticed you said you have a wireless pci card. So do you have like a wireless 4 port router? if so you should be able to just hook a switch up to that and still let the router handle the DHCP stuff and everyone can still just plug into the switch.

A switch will work just fine. However, the reason people use router/switches is due to the automatic DHCP configuration.

With a switch, you will need to manually configure each PC's network settings.

This is basic intro TCP/IP but I will try an summarize the basics to get you guys started within 10 mins.....

You need to pick an IP range in the non-routable classes Example: 192.168.x.x range.
You will have to set a subnet mask and gateway address for each PC.

For this example you will set each PC to use Static IP's configured in WinXP.
Go to the network connections in the control panel and select the properties of the network connection. On the General Tab, click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click properties.

WRITE DOWN YOUR OLD SETTINGS at this point. Have your friends do this as well if they don't already know their settings.

Set each PC to "Use the following IP Address"
At this point you are configuring your information in manually. Each PC has to have a different IP address.

For the first PC, input 192.168.0.1 as the IP address. For the 2nd, 192.168.0.2, for the 3rd 192.168.0.3 etc etc.

For the subnet mask, ALL of them will be 255.255.255.0

For the gateway, you shouldnt have to put one in, but you can use 192.168.0.1 (I know its already been assigned to a PC but it doesnt matter if you are not getting on the internet, it just doenst matter for a LAN party).

OK those changes and you are now independant from the internet and you can have LAN goodness.

To revert, go back to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties of your network card and put back in the settings for your previous settings that you wrote down.

If you expect to get on the intenernet, you're going to need your router. If you dont have enough ports, take another switch, plug the switch's uplink port into a free port of the internet router and plug up everyone to the free ports on the switches. Make sure everyone is set to "obtain an IP address automatically" and yer good to go.

Also, for a much more detailed howto, I would suggest google for "TCP/IP home networking"

Back