can a sub-$1000 laptop have all this?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a friend who feels she has been burned by their HP laptop that she has owned for only a few days. My understanding is that HP told her to take it back to where she bought it for a refund or an exchange. But given what has happened, she does not and will not buy another HP system.

She seeks a laptop under $1000, closer to $950 preferred but around that range is where she would like to stay at.

Non-negotiable essentials are:
- Good amount of memory
- Good battery life
- Fast hard drive
- Widescreen capability for movie playback
- Stability when multiple programs are running
- Not another HP

What she would prefer, but not essential:
- Being able to play DVDs without running Windows, like HP's QuickPlay

What she wants to do:
- iTunes
- MS Word for author work (novels, short stories, etc.)
- store her music
- Photoshop
- Obviously play DVD movies without having to kick into Windows

Size/weight doesn't matter.

She's looking at Gateway, Compaq, Dell and Toshiba, but is open to suggestions.

dell e1405 (maybe e1505, I think its slightly more expensive) with a 30% coupon.
Stock dual core CPU is good for multi-tasking and browsing, etc.
can get 1440x900 trulife, which is as much as I would stuff into a 14"
can get 1920x1200 trulife, which is *more* than I would stuff into a 15" (for the e1505)

Look at this thread for what I went with. Get a 7200rpm HDD and maybe the 9 cell battery for $1k and be set.

and if size/weight dont matter and shes doing author work (lotsa text) look at the 1705 with a low res (1280 or 1680 would work) screen with the better battery since she wants good bat life.
edit: it looks like they are only offering 1440x900 and 1920x1200 displays on the 1705 right now. 1440 would be perfect for ya. $1000 (shipped) would get you the 7200/60 HDD, and you can throw another 512 stick in when you feel like it. Includes DVD burner as well.

i'd probably look around the deals section for a good one on a dell (if they are doing that right now). that probably woudn't help you with the play dvds immediately thing. but geexbox is a linux distro that is cd/hd/flash drive bootable that i use as my own version of HPs quickplay (I installed it on my D: partition that i use for storage)

My Inspiron e1505 was under $800 during a sale. Core Duo/60GB HDD/1GB RAM/DVD Burner... pretty sweet (for me). Yeah, it has the integrated graphics, but I'm not a big gamer. Mine came with Media Center, but includes one of those quick boot entertainment environments. I haven't tested it with a DVD but I believe it can play them. Sounds like it'd be just fine for your sister.

SamuraiInBlack said:
I'm under the impression that having Windows on it as well via Bootcamp would be more work than she'd be willing to invest.
why would she need bootcamp and windows?

StOCK said:
why would she need bootcamp and windows?

Someone suggested a Macbook. Don't they still come with Apple's proprietary OS, or can you have Windows thrown on them from the factory?

just one word of advice about dell systems, never buy them at normal price. their commission = 50%.

for the things you listed you dont need much ram (512 autta be fine), and all you gotta get is a 7200RPM hdd, and your set. just look around for the best prices. dont go into bestbuy or futureshop or anything that has your comp on shelf, they charge stocking fees.

and HP.... i have complaints with them... charge me more for ink cartrage then my printer will you... well just see about that...

Words of advice if you buy a Dell: Get at least a two year warranty.

Check Dell Home and Office for the Inspiron series. They'll have some options under a grand.

If you're really going for battery life, remember that larger screens (17") shorten it very much. I've heard numbers of around 60% of battery is depleted from the LCD.

i just bought a xps m1210 which is out of her price range but before i decided on the 1210, i priced out an e1405(i think thats the right number- the one with the 14' widescreen) and after 35% it came to like 834(give or take a few bucks). it would definitely be able to do what she wants.

Back