can a router screw torrents?

Decker87

Limp Gawd
Hi. I have a very simple question...can wireless routers mess up torrents? I have a wireless router, and whenever I distribute or download even a very slow torrent, my whole connection is slowed majorly. As in, I have a 2Mbit connect speed and if I download at 20Kb/s, I can forget about browsing the internet or using e-mail.

I haven't been able to figure out the cause of this problem. I tried reformatting on both machines that are connected. They both slow down the network hugely when using torrents. Could it be the router? Mine is a Netgear MR814v3.

Whatsisname said:
no, but a torrents upload can most definitley screw up a router.

Yeah it's the other way around....besides eventually hosing up your computer, those P2P programs overwhelm routers with their many concurrent connections.

Whatsisname said:
no, but a torrents upload can most definitley screw up a router.

Most torrent programs can easily bring a SOHO router to its knees..:)

I use azureus and with a old linksys befsx41 router it goes poopie once the connections start coming up so i figured ehh maybe its the router. Just bought a dlink gamer router which is supposed to be more P2P, etc. friendly and it does the same thing if not worse! And i only have Azureus using a max of like 80 connections because anymore and it just makes my connection die completely from my PC. As in nothing works and i see only one monitor "blinking" on my taskbar until i either quit Azureus or pause all the dls then all of a sudden everything kicks back in. WTF is going on?! Supposedly my connection is 3mbit/512kbps and i just ran that test and got 2390/339 which isn't bad considering the time of day. BUT even limiting my uploads to 15k/sec it doesn't help once more connections kick in! :(

Tazman2 said:
I use azureus and with a old linksys befsx41 router it goes poopie once the connections start coming up so i figured ehh maybe its the router. Just bought a dlink gamer router which is supposed to be more P2P, etc. friendly and it does the same thing if not worse! And i only have Azureus using a max of like 80 connections because anymore and it just makes my connection die completely from my PC. As in nothing works and i see only one monitor "blinking" on my taskbar until i either quit Azureus or pause all the dls then all of a sudden everything kicks back in. WTF is going on?! Supposedly my connection is 3mbit/512kbps and i just ran that test and got 2390/339 which isn't bad considering the time of day. BUT even limiting my uploads to 15k/sec it doesn't help once more connections kick in! :(

Its not a bandwidth problem. Its a limitation in the number of connections open at the same time. If I remember some torrent programs can open some thousand plus connections which is far more than your standard SOHO router is designed to handle.

Hmm...so...what's the solution to this problem? (I tested my bandwidth on that there site at 1435kb)

I use bitComet, and it works great. Worked even better once I set up port forwarding in my router and the program.

I use bitComet, and it works great. Worked even better once I set up port forwarding in my router and the program.

it could also be your ISP...

the cable provider in my area pretty much drops your connection if you are uploading too much, but when you stop uploading it will go back to normal speeds. Lowered speeds feel like dial up :(

Back