Can A PSU Hold Me Back???

Viet15philong

Bad Trader
Joined
Aug 27, 2003
Messages
270
I was wondering can the psu hold me back one overclocking?? I have a dfi lanparrty motherboard with 1 gb of mushkin level2 pc3500 with a 2500+ unlock. I can get to 2.5ghz but not stable i think it is my psu. I have a acheive 500w psu! Any help would be great!:)
 
a crappy PSU will have more voltage fluctuation than a high quality one.

to to get an idea of your voltage flucuations use MBM5. open the main window and look at the "High / Low" screen. youll see readouts for your 3.3/5/12 volt lines, and more importantly your Vcore. the "Current" reading should be very near what you set your Vcore at, and the difference between Current and "High" or "Low" is the amount of fluctuation.

just for example: a 2500MHz OC might need at least 1.90v to run stable. a fluctuation in your Vcore might cause it to drop to 1.875v or worse, destablizing your system and causing your OC to fail.

someone tell me if thats wrong, cause im still learning too.
 
Well, I can't recommend a pretty, modded PSU, but I can recommend a very good one: Antec True Power 430. I use one in my system and it's the best PSU I've used.
 
Originally posted by BillLeeLee
Well, I can't recommend a pretty, modded PSU, but I can recommend a very good one: Antec True Power 430. I use one in my system and it's the best PSU I've used.

same here
 
It never gave me extra MHZ by changing toa better psu.
I have done it twice, Once with an Enermax 350watt and second with an Enermax 450w. Never got extra mhz in my O/C. I have change the psu in both these time for the only puprpose of gaining extra mhz.

But I guess in a loaded computer...3x hd, Cdrom, burner , dvd and else, I think a biggere psu should help.
 
A "quality" psu won't help you OC better, it's a myth. Power is power, there is no such thing as "dirty" power. Sure, some of them may eventually crap out earlier than otehr, but they all work the same.
 
Back
Top