Can a macbook.....

hungryduck

[H]ard|Gawd
Can a macbook (not a macbook pro) power an external LCD (like a viewsonic vx2025wm) at its native resolution (1680x1050)?

so it will work?
Becuase for college, I plan to have a 20.1 widescreen LCD on my desk for when working in my dorm, and then just take the laptop when I go to class/trip/home etc. Is this a good idea?

hungryduck said:
so it will work?
Becuase for college, I plan to have a 20.1 widescreen LCD on my desk for when working in my dorm, and then just take the laptop when I go to class/trip/home etc. Is this a good idea?
I don't see why that isn't a bad idea.

hungryduck said:
so it will work?

I believe its a very good idea. I would have done the same, but I don't see myself utilizing the portability except when going home (the iMac more than portable enough for that).

Also, there are programs out there which hack around the mirroring and let you use proper dual displays, which is what I do with my ibook.

Grathrax said:
Also, there are programs out there which hack around the mirroring and let you use proper dual displays, which is what I do with my ibook.

The Macbooks aren't locked. It can output mirroring or extend.

synergyo1 said:
The Macbooks aren't locked. It can output mirroring or extend.

Cool. Actually I remember an Apple salesfloor person telling me about that, and I responded that I already did it with hacks. I never really understood why apple kept it turned off anyway.

Grathrax said:
Cool. Actually I remember an Apple salesfloor person telling me about that, and I responded that I already did it with hacks. I never really understood why apple kept it turned off anyway.

can't have the pony (ibook 12") outrun the horse (Powerbook 12")...

dtm said:
can't have the pony (ibook 12") outrun the horse (Powerbook 12")...

And towards the end of their life cycles there wasn't too much difference between 12"iBook and Powerbook.

Schalldämpfer said:
Mirroring? Meaning it just displays what's on the notebook monitor?

Yep, thats one of the modes it can display in. It can also extend as well, or whatever that other mode is where you use both screens.

Back