Can a 5870 power SoftTH by itself?

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
3,929
Can one 5870 power three monitors on SoftTH or do I need to pick up a second graphics card.

I am running an oddball 20x30x20 PxLxP monitor configuration that eyefinity will not support and I use SoftTH to play my flight sims at 4960x1600 resolution. Currently I am running two 8800 ultras in non-sli mode, where one powers the 30" and the other one powers the two 20" displays.

I am running an evga 750i ftw mobo, with vista 64 ultimate.

So my question is, to run SoftTH can the 5870 run the whole thing or do I need to get another ati card? If I need to get another ati card I think a 5770 would be more than adequate.

Thanks for any input.
 
<Sigh> ok thank you for the reply. However, Eyefinity DOES NOT support monitors with different resolutions. I have 1200x1600 2560x1600 1200x1600 monitors kicking and eyefinity requires three identical resolutions, so no eyefinity unfortunately will NOT WORK. The developers confirmed this at widescreen gaming forums. Lazy on their part, and I am trying to work around it.
 
It should work perfectly, but you'll probably have to get somone with an eyefinity setup to test it for a 100% confirmation.
 
What are you talking about Unknown-One? SoftTH should work perfectly but you should have someone with an eyefinity setup test it?

NO EYEFINITY, it does NOT support heterogeneous monitor resolutions

I don't know if that will work OP, sorry.
 
What are you talking about Unknown-One? SoftTH should work perfectly but you should have someone with an eyefinity setup test it?

NO EYEFINITY, it does NOT support heterogeneous monitor resolutions
Wow, way to not get what I was saying.

The OP wants to know if SoftTH will work on a 5870. You would need someone with a 5870 and three monitors (an "eyefinity setup") to test SoftTH to make sure it works.

Their screens could be the same resolution, different resolutions, doesn't matter. Eyefinity (SLS mode) would have to be disabled to test SoftTH, so the limitations of eyefinity do not apply here.
 
Yes thank you for clarifying that unknown! That is exactly what I am looking for somebody to do. Because I dont wanna have to waste my money on purchasing a lesser ati card because I dont need the inputs of a third card to drive the third monitor since the 5870 has three outputs.

Basically the dell adapter costs $100 and the 5770 costs $160, I was looking to save sixty bucks here. I already ordered the adapter, so if nobody answers I will probably have the answer for everybody in about a week or less lol
 
Oh I see what you were saying Unknown-One, I apologize for misunderstanding.
He does have a good idea and you could probably ask someone on the forum to do it for you. I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
 
Well do let us know.

I ordered the Adaptor and got it shipped to Boston to a friend's house.

Now I just have to get it to Canada somehow. Maybe I'll drive down to Boston to get it,

Dell.ca would not sell me one.

I do have the 5870 driving my 3007, my 7600GT drive the 2 2007s and the 9800GT doing PhysXs. That works, with SoftTH
 
I saw a youtube video of a guy using SoftTH on his 5870. So I am pretty sure it does work.
 
I ordered the Adaptor and got it shipped to Boston to a friend's house.

Now I just have to get it to Canada somehow. Maybe I'll drive down to Boston to get it,

I have a pretty crazy idea. Get him to mail it! Hell go FedX or UPS and have it next day!
 
Well do let us know.

I ordered the Adaptor and got it shipped to Boston to a friend's house.

Now I just have to get it to Canada somehow. Maybe I'll drive down to Boston to get it,

Dell.ca would not sell me one.

I do have the 5870 driving my 3007, my 7600GT drive the 2 2007s and the 9800GT doing PhysXs. That works, with SoftTH

What operating system are you using Speedy??? Im using vista64 ultimate, but I dont think it will let me use my 8800ultra as the second card!
 
Back
Top