Can 6600GT play HL2: Lost Coast?

yogiB

Limp Gawd
My card is a 6600GT. Just started playing Lost Coast.

The first bit of the game seemed to work well.

BUT, when I got to the far side of the shore where there are two buildings right near the water and walked around those buildings, I was shocked to see the building having only ONE wall. :confused: Nothing else. When I look up at the hill at all those houses, they too have no rear and side walls. Those houses looked fine from the shore (front view) but not from the side.

Basically, whatever facet of buildings I saw initially, remain. Whatever I did not see are not rendered when I walk to an angle from which I should be seeing them. Hope I'm making myself clear.

So, the question is, is this a card issue? Is the 6600GT incapable of handling this game?

If it is not the card, then what may be the problem?

Regular HL2 works just fine.

My rig is a P4, 3.6GHz, 1GB Ram, and XFX 6600GT with latest driver from NVidia installed.

Thanks.

Sorry man, I don't really have a true solution for you, but my 6600 (non GT) plays Lost Coast smooth on not quite maxed settings Look to my sig for the rest of my specs. All I can think of is that your drivers are messed up, maybe it could even be Direct X... If you've tried re-installing these and it still doesn't work, I'd look at RMA'ing it, cause something is wrong with that.

yogiB said:
My card is a 6600GT. Just started playing Lost Coast.

The first bit of the game seemed to work well.

BUT, when I got to the far side of the shore where there are two buildings right near the water and walked around those buildings, I was shocked to see the building having only ONE wall. :confused: Nothing else. When I look up at the hill at all those houses, they too have no rear and side walls. Those houses looked fine from the shore (front view) but not from the side.

Basically, whatever facet of buildings I saw initially, remain. Whatever I did not see are not rendered when I walk to an angle from which I should be seeing them. Hope I'm making myself clear.

So, the question is, is this a card issue? Is the 6600GT incapable of handling this game?

If it is not the card, then what may be the problem?

Regular HL2 works just fine.

My rig is a P4, 3.6GHz, 1GB Ram, and XFX 6600GT with latest driver from NVidia installed.

Thanks.

It should handle it. Not very well, but it should run it. Lost Coast was a Valve's tech demo, to show off their HDR implementation, which GeForce 6 series can handle, even with AA, though not exactly smoothly.
I don't think that what you are seeing, is a hardware problem. When you say latest drivers, you mean 93.71 ? You could try going back to 91.47 and see what happens.
Also, did you download Lost Coast via Steam ? Your download session could've gone wrong and you might need to re-download it. It happens.

Silus speaks the truth. Do all other source games work fine?
EDIT: Nevermind, saw the HL2 thing. Just try re-installing Lost Coast like Silus said,

Silus said:
It should handle it. Not very well, but it should run it. Lost Coast was a Valve's tech demo, to show off their HDR implementation, which GeForce 6 series can handle, even with AA, though not exactly smoothly.
I don't think that what you are seeing, is a hardware problem. When you say latest drivers, you mean 93.71 ? You could try going back to 91.47 and see what happens.
Also, did you download Lost Coast via Steam ? Your download session could've gone wrong and you might need to re-download it. It happens.

Yes, the driver is 93.71. Shall install 91.47 and see if there's any improvement.

Yes, downloaded via Steam. Thought that was the only place to get the game from!? Yes?

Let me change the driver and see. If no luck, I'll re-download.

Also, I played with 2x AA. Wanna try without AA tonight and see.

Thanks, guys, for the feedback.

Are you going across the water to the other side where the boat and the docks are? Are you in god mode?

Those parts of the buildings aren't even rendered because you're not "supposed" to go over there in normal game play but that's the very first thing I did when I loaded the game in god mode.

Your 6600gt is fine.

j8x said:
Are you going across the water to the other side where the boat and the docks are? Are you in god mode?

Those parts of the buildings aren't even rendered because you're not "supposed" to go over there in normal game play but that's the very first thing I did when I loaded the game in god mode.

Your 6600gt is fine.

:eek: Not supposed to go there???
Never thought Valve would have such a thing!! If they didn't want you to go someplace, they would block it, won't they?

And, what's "god mode"??? :confused:

yogiB said:
:eek: Not supposed to go there???
Never thought Valve would have such a thing!! If they didn't want you to go someplace, they would block it, won't they?

And, what's "god mode"??? :confused:

trofl.

That side of the map is only truly for decoration. Normally, trying to go there means you get killed in the water (the 'blocking' that you speak of), but I've gotten around it many times.

It is not apart of the objective of the map, so therefore they left out the extra polys to render the stuff on the far shore, but still wanted to keep the background of the map from being overly-bland and skyboxed.

I can't believe that nobody knew that...ahaha

That's why I put it in the quotes, it's not illegal and you can do whatever you want it's just that they don't render areas that you don't go in the normal gameplay. Try it in HL2 it's pretty fun.

god mode is bsaically just that, you type in something in the command prompt (can't remember exactly, it's been a while) and you are invincible. Usually when you go in the water you start to die but sometimes you can make it even without god mode.

You can also stop all the ai.....the characters from interacting with you.

I'm no expert I just found out some of the commands.

That said, I never enjoyed HL: LC with HDR with my 6600GT. It was chuggy hardcore.

I replayed HL: LC when I switched over to a 7600GT and it was "Zomg!" a totally enjoyable experience. HDR was _subtle_ and realistic. Much much better.

Back