Can 32bit XP read a Windows 7 64bit install disc?

joecuddles

[H]ard|Gawd
I've burned the RC .iso direct from MS and am currently on 32 bit XP. I wanted to run the CD to ensure the burn was successful (since I'm doing an entire hardware swap) so I don't have any issues, but the CD seems to be totally unreadable. Is this normal, or has something gone wrong with the burn? I used Nero 7 at 4x and tried it on two separate DVD-Rs.

Sounds like a bad burn. I had to turn the max write speed down to 2x when I burned my copy to get it to burn properly.

Should be readable from within 32-bit Windows.

Remember, a 64-bit install disk, when used with an upgrade install key and for changing from an old 32-bit install to a new 64-bit install, has to be launched from within the 32-bit install. It HAS to be readable!

You've got a bad burn, if the disk is unreadable. Could be a corrupted download image. Could be bad media. Could be a drive or burning software problem.

I'd trying burning again with different blanks, or on a different machine.

Alright just did 2x with data verification, I get a pop-up that says 'This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows', update via reboot, etc. Disc shows in My Computer and is explorable. Looks like 4x/8x was just bad news.

Thanks Brian!

Glad to help. No idea why, but on all three of my machines I had to burn ms's isos on 2x, but can burn other isos on 4x just fine.

Good burner + good media burned at half the rated max speed = great burns.

Anything else and you're takin' chances... ;)

^
+1

I remember reading once that burning too slow is just as inefficient as burning too fast. That method use to work on older gen burners but new gen burners have advance a lot.

Burning at moderate speed such as 8x would be best.

You cannot upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64bit OS, you have to do a clean install or load XP x64 or Vista x64 and up-grade from that !

Another burning rule for me is the more files (not size, but number of files) to burn, the slower I want to set the burn speed.

Linux ISO and Windows ISO are examples of thousands and thousands of files which I prefer to burn at slow speed.

Have a 4+GB flash drive? Save yourself the hassle of burning and a slow install and install from the flash drive.

My guide is stickied in the OS subforum.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back