Camera Not Wanting to Connect to PC...

GamezUK

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have a Sony CyberShot DSC-F707 that won't connect to my PC...

When you plug it in, you get the *bing* that windows makes but nothing happens.

I regularly connect my camera to some Apple computers with which it works correctly.

The camera used to connect just fine before I reformatted my computer (and incedentally installed MCE05 rather than XP Pro...

The camera geos into USB mode like it should and I don't think it's the camera's fault.

I have various USB devices connected to my computer (none that require large amounts of power and only a few that are on all the time (wireless mouse for eg.).

Please help!

You probably need to load drivers, check device manager for any yellow ! marks, or red Xs.

What software are you using? More importantly, what operating system?

That was my first guess too... (despite never having to install drivers with XP Pro!)

There was a ! in a yellow triangle next to Sony *something* PCI

Despite "PCI" I right-clicked and selected "uninstall" (because I have no other Sony products!) then grabed the MCE driver off Sony's web site.

After installing this (and restarting) the situation is identicle except there's not even a yellow !... now there's nothing!

Edit: As I said I am using XP MCE 2005.

I am not using software. I want to simply drag the files accross. Would software help?

GamezUK said:
That was my first guess too... (despite never having to install drivers with XP Pro!)

There was a ! in a yellow triangle next to Sony *something* PCI

Despite "PCI" I right-clicked and selected "uninstall" (because I have no other Sony products!) then grabed the MCE driver off Sony's web site.

After installing this (and restarting) the situation is identicle except there's not even a yellow !... now there's nothing!

Edit: As I said I am using XP MCE 2005.

I am not using software. I want to simply drag the files accross. Would software help?
If there's nothing, then it probably loaded the driver correctly, look for a new heading in device manager, expand it, and you'll see the camera.

If the OS can't see the camera, then the software won't either. If windows can, the software should be able to. If windows can see it, the camera may show up as a drive in explorer, and then you can just copy the data from there.

So the camera doesn't show up in my computer?

Here's a little info for ya.

At work here with XP, if you plug a camera or USB flash card into the computer, and say drives A, C, D, E, F, G etc are all in use, saying E F and G are network maps, the damn devide will TRY and map to one of those letters anyways.

You'll need to login as an administrator, go into disk management, and change the drive letter of the camera to say Z. Always happens here, always the same fix.

No, it doesn't show as a 'Removeable USB drive' in my computer as it used to...

under the Universal Serial Bus controllers heading in the DevMngr I get the following:

Generic USB Hub
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Do any of those look like it?

I'm telling you, go into disk management and make sure it's not trying to grab a letter of something else thats mapped/installed.

Milenko said:
I'm telling you, go into disk management and make sure it's not trying to grab a letter of something else thats mapped/installed.

I'm in disk management but I can't see anything other than my Hard drives:

C, E, G and L

My CD & DVD drives:

F & H

and my virtual CD drive:

H

Even when the camera is plugged in, only those show?

Do you have admin priveledges?

It might actually be the composite device. If i understand the name correctly, it's refering to a device that's composited of several units, so to speak. A camera might be seen by windows as both a card reader and a camera, for instance, so it's quite possible.
(I'm only speculating.)

The easiest way to find out: Remove the camera and see if anything disappears.

(Also, advice: Get a standalone card reader. They're quite cheap and very useful.)

Back