Camera Image Quality and Dynamic Range

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

So, I'm looking for some discussion, or perhaps an explanation of why camera manufacturers haven't taken image quality to the next level.

To sum up everything I was about to write: Why haven't they added the ability to have color levels beyond 0 and 255? I understand that 256 values equates to an 8-bit value, however, why haven't they made it 16-bit and allowed cameras to capture values between 0 and 65535?

After reading many articles and snippets online, it seems that cameras would benefit significantly from being able to capture additional information.

Also, to assist with capturing images with a wider dynamic range, can't they control the sensor, and for example, detect when a pixel is receiving light too quickly, and tone down the speed of that particular pixel?

I'm interested in all your thoughts on this topic.

Well, all printing is done in 8-bit, so that might have something to do with it. AFAIK, though, RAW files are 12-bit, though. Its not 16-bit, but its still an improvement over 8-bit JPEG.

I've read some articles that have suggested that digital cameras could be developed that don't need flashes, that CCD sensitivity could be increased to a point where flashes are useless. My guess is the camera companies don't invest in things like this because of the high cost.

There is a lot more to this than just "do it"

Also flash has a lot more uses than just to light the dark areas...it provides effects and such and lighting is a huge part of many types of photography.

14bit is still way over 8bit which is what printers can handle and the extra bits are just used to give headroom in corrective editing.

Honestly...dont worry about bits. There are a lot more skills to learn in photography than to whine about the technology in it right now. Much more is based on the shooter than the equipment these days if you have good gear. You are using a PC World "more is better, compare the tech of it!" approach to photography which is much more the shooter and art than the technology you have. (For example, I have seen pictures from early digital SLRs that have only a few MP and because of the photographer the images are better than what most people take with the new 10mp and higher cameras)

If you want more range...look at HDR. It will give you all the range you could ever imagine.

Another note:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=24492312

Back