Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Down To The Wire

MMORPGs = meh.

When is someone going to innovate a new genre?

That's where some kid comes in. Someone with a big imagination. Maybe not all the skills, but the imagination to create a world and a whole new genre. Then find someone to build it. Some 12 year old already has the ideas. That's where game developers should be looking.

MMORPGs = meh.

When current genres are milked so dry that no one's buying anymore?

MMORPG's can be fun if done well, but screw it up, and they're not even worth a free download. Another factor is that a bad community can plunge a great MMO right into the sewers, or take a so-so MMO, and make it fun in spite of its flaws.

It would be interesting but he might sell out to EA again and ruin the game (Dark Age of Camelot)

And warhammer... their KS even mentions "developers trying to out-wow wow", which is exactly what they tried to do with WAR...and failed. Adding insult to injury was the massive amount of feedback that people were giving them to fix WAR, simple things to make the RvR meaningful, rewarding... and instead they did the complete opposite, rewarding players for Flag Capping and doing anything but actual PvP / RvR.

He lost me at MMO... I'm not an MMO fan. For me, playing video games is a solitary experience. It's ME time! I like to immerse myself in the game and not be bothered.

Its more like planet side. No pve leveling. Think of it more like LoL with third person fps or mmorpg controls. If you watch the videos he has some really fun ideas.

And warhammer... their KS even mentions "developers trying to out-wow wow", which is exactly what they tried to do with WAR...and failed. Adding insult to injury was the massive amount of feedback that people were giving them to fix WAR, simple things to make the RvR meaningful, rewarding... and instead they did the complete opposite, rewarding players for Flag Capping and doing anything but actual PvP / RvR.

I completely agree with you about WAR, but it was fun when you actually fought other people. Mark left EA because they wouldn't let him make the game in the direction he wanted. DAoC was fun, ToA messed it up. I liked New Frontiers a lot. He led two games I enjoyed a lot,but made a bunch of choices I thought were mistakes. His ideas seem like they will make a fun game, I am willing to give him another chance.

I'm not seeing any movement on the total. It's not looking good to me.

They brought in over $70k today, and over $60k on each of the past 2 days. Not to shabby methinks.

I'm honestly a little disappointed that it took [H] so long to post any news about this campaign. I know Kickstarter isn't everyone's favorite but this game looks promising.

And I'll gladly pay a monthly fee instead of P2W systems like GW2, SWToR, D3 and others. It's not the next WoW but a nice little niche game that will pull in 50-100k like-minded subscribers. Which I'm totally fine with.

oh man, dark age of camelot. loved it. i only got to the four horsemen once in caer sidi. what an epic dungeon. not that the mechanics were so great, but man you could get a hundred people killed with just one bad pull. trials of atlantis... rocked.

just too bad that there are no decent tiers for physical copies. i don't care about a forum badge and a digital soundtrack. 250 bucks for physical stuff... yea, it comes with 9 months of subscription fees, but still... :/

MMORPGs = meh.

The biggest problem is not with a lack of genres, the problem is a lack of quality games in those existing genres (and there is no bigger example of this than MMORPGs). Despite relatively half-way decent attempts (Ultima Online, Shadowbane, EVE Online, Pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies), there has yet to be one quality MMORPG that one can say is truly a great game as a whole, especially compared to "great" games in other non-MMO genres.

Obviously, part of this has to do with the increased difficulty and costs associated with MMO games, but if you gave creative freedom to good, innovative game makers, and gave them even half the budget many of the past "AAA" MMORPG titles have been given, they could make a truly great game. Unfortunately, investors are fools when it comes to MMORPGs especially, and demand more of the same for decreasing returns. On top of that, there are few quality game makers out there (at least beyond indie studios whose big-budget-game talent is not yet demonstrated).

And no, I am not interested in Camelot Unchained due to its RvR focus. I am only interested in truly open-world sandbox games where people build their own communities and are not in any way artificially constrained by pre-defined groups.

I don't get the kick start idea. if you can't pitch the game to big developers probably not that great.

I put my pledge in, I think that he is sincere on what he wants to produce and is taking the crowdfunding approach to make it his way! I'm definitely an old-school daoc fan and I would love to get that feeling back that i had then!

I don't get the kick start idea. if you can't pitch the game to big developers probably not that great.

The problem with big developers is they look for the way to optimize profit and not what actual players want, crowdfunding allows Jacobs to make the game "he" and the "backers" want to play...without the interference of EA dictating what is "right" or "wrong" for the game.

Big publishers you mean? Well, these publishers do not think crpg games are worth making anymore. So if you only rely on them, you'll forever play the same Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale because there will never be another great crpg. With kickstarter, the developers who are interested in making them can finally get the funding required.

Publishers are only interested in commercially successful game. Great games and commercially successful games don't necessary come together.

They all want to be WoW. They want the most people to buy the game as possible. I am sure MJ didn't even try to go to the big publishers. He wants to make a game in his vision. He doesn't want to compromise because the publishers want it to WoW. MJ has said he would be happy with 50K active subscribers. The problem with games now is they all try to be the next big thing, they don't take risks, they don't try anything new. Look at BF and CoD series, they have been pushing out the same regurgitated crap for years and making billions.

Because we need another Kickstarter beggar trying to get something no one needs or wants like yet another MMO funded by people with a fetish for key chains and other trinkets as rewards when no rational publisher would dish out money after realizing the payout isn't worth the risk.

I do not see how anyone could create a MMO for $4 mil and have it be good - industry veteran or not. Maybe if they're redefining the term "MMO" to be the size and scope of Forge, but this is sounding pretty skippable to me.

sounds like you would like EVE Online.

How can you tell that he wants to spend years being promised things that only get half implemented and then ignored or that he wants to be the target of disgust from the people half-ass developing repetitive missions/afk mining online?

lol @ Mark Jacobs's money grab. Nothing like a kickstarter with nothing but a promise - not even an pre-alpha like most others have had, wanting money up front and then telling you, "Oh, by the way, there's going to be a subscription too."

lulz.

Niche product is niche. Still, it will likely make its goal.

I play MMORPGs for the PvE and grouping since PvP is nothing more than jumping backward and running in circles (over simplified but I've had enough of it). I did play DAoC and really enjoyed the PvE experience.

Since Camelot Unchained has no PvE it does not have my money.

sounds like you would like EVE Online.

Same old treadmill mechanics. If I have to do repetitive "gameplay" tasks for a large proportion of the time in order to compete / progress, that is a sign of a mediocre or worse MMORPG (and all MMORPGs are like that right now, including EVE). But as I said, EVE is one of the better MMORPGs due to its more open gameplay.

EVE would chew up and spit out players like him, and has, for the last 10 years. They don't want a sandbox, they want a themepark with an illusion of a sandbox to control as long as it favors them.

That is exactly what Camelot Unchained is, and I just said I was not interested in Camelot Unchained due to that. So i'm not sure what you're talking about...

EVE would chew up and spit out players like him, and has, for the last 10 years. They don't want a sandbox, they want a themepark with an illusion of a sandbox to control as long as it favors them.

I'm fairly certain that allowing a video game to "chew up and spit out" a person demonstrates the assignment of far too much significance to it over other aspects of living life. Then again, the people who really get into games like EVE tend to be like that so I can understand how that thought process creates itself in a person playing that silly thing. Its still sad to be reminded that it exists. :(

The only sad thing is we still have people trotting out holier-then-thou replies like yours, akin to the 'lol nerd living in parents basement' tripe we've heard for the last 30 years. It's especially weak on this site, which is dedicated to the the land of people going crazy with triple GPU's, multi-monitors, high-end watercooling of their systems, etc. Are they too, stupid and wasting their lives, for spending money and hundreds of hours on an often times competitive hobby?

The only sad thing is we still have people trotting out holier-then-thou replies like yours, akin to the 'lol nerd living in parents basement' tripe we've heard for the last 30 years. It's especially weak on this site, which is dedicated to the the land of people going crazy with triple GPU's, multi-monitors, high-end watercooling of their systems, etc. Are they too, stupid and wasting their lives, for spending money and hundreds of hours on an often times competitive hobby?

I can't seem to find any mention of a basement in my post, but if that's the stereotype you want to apply to this situation, that's completely up to you. I'm merely pointing out that it's a game and games are for children (old or young) during playtime. Allowing them to become so powerful in your assignment of self-worth is a disappointing folly. Having met people who play EVE, I noted that the game tends to attract people with the sort of mental shortcoming that tends to cause them to operate multiple accounts and to take their playtime far very seriously where others would simpply understand that it's just another form of entertainment. You needn't try to make it into some elitist "my game it too hard for you" sort of thing.

Back