• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Camcorder or Dig-camara?

coffee33

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
1,088
Spending limit: $400

Likes: Taking pictures for blog found Here . I like taking video and editing it and making funny and/or instructional computer videos.

Question:
I noticed DV camcorders have a mem-card and a tape. Can I upload my video from that tape also just like I do from the card. I mean from cam to pc just like that? Because the cards don't hold enough length for filming.

Can a cam corder take pretty good pix?

What should I get:
I'm thinking camara but I really want a DV cam corder also....you all decide.

Please if anyone knows of a GOOD place to buy them online let me know. I also would like some models I should look into...I don't want junk.

Thanks a ton for helping me out!
Take care
:)
 
all the camcorder pictures ive seen look like crap. 400 will get you a nice prosumer digicam with videocam mode.

If you'll use a dv camcorder for actually taking video, for sure, get that instead. Way easier to edit.

if you had 600 bucks i'd say get both. ;)
 
I have both. Ever since I got my DSLR, I have been finding myself using my Sony MiniDV camcorder less and less.... And MiniDV pic quality sucks compared to a didicated camera...
 
No camcorder will take as good of pics as a camera, and no camera will take as good of video as a camcorder.

Transferring video from a camcorder tape to computer is easy - just need a firewire connection between the two (so make sure your computer has a firewire port) and any editing software will import it. Note though it imports in real time - a full 1 hour tape will take 1 hour to get onto your computer. It'll take up 13gig per hour of DV video too - and that's before you start editing anything.

For camcorder suggestions, I'd look at the Panasonic 3CCD models if you can squeeze them into your budget. The older GS120 is probably all gone everywhere, but if you can find one on clearance it's a great camera. It's been replaced by newer models. The 3CCD sensors give much better color and detail. For lower price, Canon makes some pretty nice and small miniDV cameras. I'd suggest staying away from anything that puts the video on a memory card (usually in mpeg4 format) or directly on a DVD disc as those will be harder to edit (they're mpeg compressed, so detail is lost plus your computer has to do much more processing just to edit them) MiniDV is the place to be for editing.

edit: to save money, check out the hot deals forums here and elsewhere. Also look on ebay for cameras and camcorders - you can save some money that way too
 
On the question of the Tape and Card, I think all of the video goes to the Tape, and still pictures go to the Card.

I've never used a MiniDV camera though, so I can't say for sure. That's just what I remember reading...



As for places to buy...here are two places that I see fairly well used for photography, and they have some video & entertainment equipment also. There may be places to pick up stuff for less $$$, but either of these are reliable. You may also want to visit a local Rex electronics store (we have a few on the West -- or it might just be an Idaho thing), or other stores and play with the floor models...

B&H Photo Video -- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
One Call / Huppins -- http://www.onecall.com/
 
Hey thanks a ton all I'm going with this guy so far... http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx!!!!!!!dealtime&sku=PNDMCFZ20S

What do you all think?
Ty a ton! :)
 
Back
Top