Calling all raptor owners

Turkish621

Gawd
Let me clarify, calling all raptor 36gb owners. Ok so I am looking at getting one of these bad boys for my boot drive on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and I was wondering how loud are they? I have a pretty quite system and I am not sure if I want a loud wine of 10,000 rpm's keeping me up. So if you have this drive in your machine please let me know one a scale of 1-10 1 being silent, how loud these things are.

I'm gonna go dual in a RAID, so I hope it isn't too loud. But, the way I'm planning my new system out it's gonna be loud anyways. So what the hell!

I have a 74GB Raptor and it is a lot louder than my 2 ATA drives and even louder than the Fujitsu MAS SCSI drive I had.

EnderW, I am not sure if noise is an issue for you or not, but do you think the drive is worth it? I mean, is there noticable performance increases?

Originally posted by Turkish621
EnderW, I am not sure if noise is an issue for you or not, but do you think the drive is worth it? I mean, is there noticable performance increases?
The noise isn't too bad, but it can be annoying.

My current compuer is such an upgrade over my mom's Dell, my regular ATA 100 7200 RPM 8MB buffer WD drive was already fast, the Raptor is definitely faster, but just doing normal stuff like internet, e-mail, I can't tell much of a difference.

Where I can tell the biggest difference is installing programs and decrompressing RAR files - both of those go pretty fast.

It really doesn't 'feel' a whole lot faster, but like I said, I haven't done anything really intensive.

Get one, try it out, if you don't like it, you can always put it on ebay and get most of your money back.

I have 2 in raid and i dont even hear them... but i always have 6+ fans so.....

I have 2 in Raid 0 in the system in my sig. They are very quiet, but do have a very high pitch whine. You can barely hear it. Otherwise, they are not loud at all. I do notice a performance increase when booting, using the file manager and defragging. Games load up a bit quicker too.

Originally posted by EnderW
I have a 74GB Raptor and it is a lot louder than my 2 ATA drives and even louder than the Fujitsu MAS SCSI drive I had.

That's the the total oposite of my 74 gig Raptor... I can't hear mine when it's idle over my PSU. When it accesses there is only a bit of chatter.

But this is off topic, I have no experience with the 36 gig flavor.

-dB

Mine has a very quiet high pitched hum at idle, seeks are somewhat louder than normal but I like hearing them. I can barely hear mine sometimes, the drive is about 3 feet away from my ears, inside my case. Note I did use an acousti-pack deluxe on my case. I can't hear the hard drive right now though, only noise is from my 3 case fans running at 6 volts (1300 rpm, very quiet), Zalman 7000 92mm at 5 volts (1450 rpm very quiet), VGA silencer on low (1200 rpm) and my power supply's 120mm, not monitoring rpm atm but I'd guess it's running around 2000 rpm's and is the loudest part of my pc right this moment. Takes awhile for the power supply to cool off after a few hours of heavy gaming, once it slows down I should be able to hear the hard drive if I try, but just barely.

If I turn run all the fans at full speed 12 volts then even the seeks start blending into the background, and they aren't delta or tornado screamers. :cool:

Originally posted by Decibel
That's the the total oposite of my 74 gig Raptor... I can't hear mine when it's idle over my PSU. When it accesses there is only a bit of chatter.

But this is off topic, I have no experience with the 36 gig flavor.

-dB
Hmm. I wonder if something is wrong with mine. I ran a couple of benchs and it performed within specs.

unless you are designing a "Silent Computer" (everything passive) then it is almost next to impossible hearing your HD. with all the fans your computer has there is just no way... unless you listen for it or you are extremely close to it or your case sux. either way it is still very hard. just the PSU alone will drown out all noises in a system

Back