Calling all Medieval II Total War Players...

HaMMerHeD

[H]F Junkie
We at [H]Enthusiast are adding Medieval II Total War to our High-End gaming test suite. As the game is fairly new, and we haven't played it, I was hoping to get some feedback from any Medieval II players in our forums.

If you know of a good place to test, a place that stresses the graphics subsystem more than most others in the game, please tell us where it is, or what scenario it is. If possible, we may like to get a savegame from you guys. If you have a savegame in a good spot, PM me, and I'll let you know how to send it to us.

Thanks folks,
Mark Warner.

Try a custom game with an enormous amount of units....

fire arrows are definitely a big slowdown.

The Mayan jungle map has a lot of foliage which definitely makes life hard for my radeon x1400.

Assaulting any large city or castle with a ton of units will do the trick. Like the post above, lots of arrows and flaming objects also are good.

I wouldnt think it would be a great system test game , maybe because there are so many diffrent zooms you can do and many variations of the battles, ie: army sizes, classes, and maps. maybe an average of all that would be good but you can have 100 fps one min, enter a huge battle drop to 15, enter a small battle up to 30...not very constant. but....for me my game crashes every 2-5 turns and dont have the most expierance..about 50 turns in (i was very patiant with the crashes haha)., im installing the patch when i get time, to play next, hopfully that will fix it.

Well it's not the most straightforward test, granted. But it is popular, so we are including it. It seems like the turn-based strategy portions are light on the graphics card, so I think whatever we end up with will center around combat. Perhaps just loading up a scenario with as many units and flame arrows and such as possible, and then running as close to the same strategy as possible for each runthrough.

-Mark

This game is a blast. I got my ass handed to me as Wm the Conqueror in the Saxon invasion tutorial. I kept putting off the assault on Nottingham, and by the time I did attack, I had brought too small an army and got slaughtered.

Tried it again, and beat the piss out of them. I love then the catapult punches holes in the walls.

I'd love to see a CPU breakdown of this game. Setting the unit size to huge and making a massive custom battle with acceptable frames would be impressive to see... my P4 takes a pummeling in this game.

GPUCommando said:
I'd love to see a CPU breakdown of this game. Setting the unit size to huge and making a massive custom battle with acceptable frames would be impressive to see... my P4 takes a pummeling in this game.

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion, you are going to see something similar in an upcoming evaluation :)

How many men can you get in a Medieval battle? For Rome huge was 240 men x 20 unit x 8 armies = 38,400 soldiers. They needed to make the game multithreaded. I'm not sure about Medieval 2, but Rome actual ran slower with a dual core processor. Hopefully they at least fixed that.

Just the sheer number of soldiers sounds like it would make a tough test.

BladeVenom said:
How many men can you get in a Medieval battle? For Rome huge was 240 men x 20 unit x 8 armies = 38,400 soldiers. They needed to make the game multithreaded. I'm not sure about Medieval 2, but Rome actual ran slower with a dual core processor. Hopefully they at least fixed that.

Just the sheer number of soldiers sounds like it would make a tough test.

im still waiting for 200,000 (Return of the King). Yea how many can u have in Medieval 2?

roninblade said:
im still waiting for 200,000 (Return of the King). Yea how many can u have in Medieval 2?

Theoretically, you could have multiple units of peasants (largest unit size):

150 men x 20 unit slots allowed = 3,000 men

Multiply that by 8 armies in the scenerio you get 24,000 give or take.

Given the new graphics engine in, that should seriously push any systems limits...

And yes, multithreading would seriously help in this game (if it is there, i do not know).

Don't forget your siege equipment, always w/ special ability on. (fire, cows)
They kick up dust and smoke for extra stress.

Forest and foggy battles are rough as well.

Haven't played medieval 2 yet but if it's like any others in the total war series just amass a large force and save before sieging a city. Take down numbers. Rinse and repeat. As others have said fire arrows help stress the video.

On a side note should you want to test CPUs with the game turn on independent troop movement/action (should be in the options menu). Get a few large armies out in an open field and have them go at it. Used that as my stability test back when I was OCing my 3200+ :p

If only this game utilized quad core cpus and 4gb ram.... I'd be tempted to pay the inflated QX prices

for that matter, someone put me in deep freeze until 2020 when we're running 1mill vs. 1mill armies on quantum computers with 2x deathforce 9950gtx in SLI 5.0

Otherwise, whatever you do, put it on SHADER 2, since it seems to bog my rig down WAYYYYYY more than shader 1. And cities do the trick.

Does this game use much vram? More than my 256mb card?

For the sake of people controlling units I'm sure those million man armies will be broken up into units of 100,000 men each :p

Back