Calling all audiophiles.. Should I change?

evilnickwong

Weaksauce
Here's the thing. I'm currently on an old SB Live Value (4.1 version) and I'm using a set of Creative Inspire 4400 4.1 speakers.

Anyway, I got a good deal on a Audigy DE for RM125, about US$30. What I'm wondering is whether I'll actually be able to notice a difference in sound quality and so on when I'm:

a) listening to MP3s
b) playing games

I know my speaker system sucks, so I'm wondering whether an Audigy is worth it considering I'm not even on a 5.1

I really don't think upgrading would make much of a noticable difference unless you added some better speakers.

It's probably not worth it. Even if you upgraded your speakers, you would only notice a slight difference in sound quality, if any (depends on your ears). But hey, if you got the Audigy already, you might as well install it.

Nah, I haven't got it yet. THat's why I'm asking for you guys opinions here. :)

If I do get a noticeable difference in my music, then it'd be worth it to me. But if not, I'd rather use the money to get some other new stuff instead of a sound card.

Save up some more money for speakers. My rule of thumb is that for every $20 you spend on a soundcard, you should spend about $100 on speakers. So for a nice $100 soundcard, you should have some pretty nice speakers to go with them.

Prob not worth it, or you will not notice any difference unless you have better speakers.

Problem is that I won't be changing to better speakers anytime soon.
Guess I might have to think this over a lil.
Hrm. :confused:

i upgraded from an SB Live to an audigy 2 and noticed quite a diff, i think it might be a negligible difference in that particular case.. only one way to find out :p

if you need the 5.1 support, it's not a bad idea

Originally posted by evilnickwong
Problem is that I won't be changing to better speakers anytime soon.
Guess I might have to think this over a lil.
Hrm. :confused:
I'm sure sound card prices are going down, so you'll be able to buy a comparable sound card for around the same price or less when you do upgrade your speakers.

Back