Calling all Abit IC7 - MAX 3 owners running 2.8C

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
Need advice on this badboy. I apologize, but search is not working.:)

I just upgraded to the system in my sig. Only problem is, I can't get the CPU over 3.1GHz:mad:

I set the RAM on default settings (it's rated 3-4-4-8) and the ratio to 1:1. Since the RAM is DDR500, I gradually increased the FSB up from 200. All's fine until FSB = 220.:confused:

The CPU is now at 3080MHz (14x220). System POST's fine, no problem with system bus running 220x4 = 880MHz. If I try going higher than this, no POST. WTF?

The CPU FPO/Batch # = Q 411 A045 (packed 16 March 2004). Am I missing something, or is this just the luck of the draw that I got a CPU without potential? I checked the database @ Overclocker's.com to see what the guys are getting with their 2.8C's, and the average is 3.4GHz.

Please guys - any suggestions?:D

P.S. I don't think it's cooling related:

Idle - Sys = 35C + CPU = 38C
Load - Sys = 38C + CPU = 42C

we need to merge threads :). we'd probably collect all kinds of data on our mobo. you've gotta give us the details on the voltages you're giving the ram and your cpu though.

flip

I ran the CPU @ stock voltages (I think it's about 1.525, or there about. Sorry, it's still a new toy, can't recall the voltage right now:D )

After the first no POST, I upped the voltage to about 1.55V. Still no luck.

the RAM is running at 1.6V.

Did I leave out anything else:confused:

Thanks

exactly, what he said. run the ram with more volts... get this, i got my ram to go 250fsb at 2-3-3-6, i LOVE these sticks, what does that translate to anyway? PC4000?

flip

So I should just give the CPU and RAM more juice?

I wanted to try that, but I'm still shit scared of killing anything:D

Hell, my wife is still pissed about all the money I spent on it:p

Okay - are these typical voltages overclockers are running these components at? (Like I said - still scared):D

lemem check my cpu-z....

at 1.625volts for CPU .. and MBM reads.. 48C..
1003.2ghz bus speed (lol that just sounds impressive)

at 3.2volts memory.. of course that's running at 250fsb 1:1

all this with stock heatsink till my h20 setup, i'd say it was safe and go for it :)

flip

Thanks flip,

I want that 1000MHz system bus too!;)

Gonna boost the volts and see what happens.
Thanks for your help - really eased my mind.

Thunder888

it's all good, we're experimenting together, i've only had the board for.. 2 days :D. Let us know your mileage.

flip

Hiya

I'm running my rig at 3 Ghz at 220 FSB 5:4 divide atm - gonna raise FSB later

Originally posted by fLiPaChu
lemem check my cpu-z....

at 1.625volts for CPU .. and MBM reads.. 48C..
1003.2ghz bus speed (lol that just sounds impressive)

at 3.2volts memory.. of course that's running at 250fsb 1:1

all this with stock heatsink till my h20 setup, i'd say it was safe and go for it :)

flip

Nicely done, my bh-5 will get around 245 @ 2-5-2-2, done the vtt and vdimm mods on it.

before i sold my 2.4c i had it @3.6@300fsb[1200 quad pumped bus]@1.7vcore and i had GEIL golden dragon pc 4000 running 5:4 and had it @ 2.9v (no problems with vtt/vdimm)

but after the 300fsb mark the agp-pci lock breaks apart. don't know why. had it to 306fsb but wasn't stable.

and i was running a sp-97 with a tornado and nexus fan controler

now that board is running a 3.0E stock until my water is put on it.

my other board is running a 3.0C @ 3.2@ stock voltage and some crappy off brand pc3200 [email protected]
cooled with a zalman

oh ya and my psu that i have in my oc rig is a tt silent 480w which is stable as a rock.... or something

you might wanna lower your voltage down from 3.2 to 2.8 sice that will fry your memorey

nah, bh-5s work monsterously with a lil extra voltage, just as long as you have some airflow in the general region, youre fine.

i've been logging the memory voltages through PChealth status and MBM5... there aren't any ridiculous fluctuations. I'm pretty confident in the cooling solution found on the Corsair PRO modules too. Lemme just say though that i'm running purely stock setup, no vdimm mods or vtt mods. i haven't even done anything as far as reseating the northbridge and applying better paste to it.

flip

oh and cookie, i believe i have CH5 too, miracle sticks you might say.

i had some shitty ram @ 3.2 and one day ka-smoke and ka-dead

i had nothing on them and they had no airflow so i was asking for it:rolleyes:

you posted the same time as me

look into a water-pelt setup, may wana do it.

don't!!!don't!!!don't!!!don't!!!don't!!!don't!!!don't!!! do the vdimm/vtt mod!!!!!! all it spells is trouble.

1. after you do it you maynot be able to oc anymore.
2. nor more warentee from abit.
3. you can destroy your board doing it
4. can burn up your ram
5. do you really want to waste your money buying a new board

also if you are getting cracking from the ob sound it is because of the south bridge. i have a big pasive zalman hs on my sb

mine came silver. and if you wana get it off just get some dust off hold the can upside down and freeze it off.

http://directron.com/zmnb32j.html

hopefully it didn't put you back too much $. What's a good FSB to aim for when considering ram anyway? I know PC4000 isn't even fully supported on this board (that's what I'm running this 3200 at right?). Some review sites see 270s sometimes... just can't justify letting go of these sticks especially when they can ran CAS2 you know?

flip

okay another same-time post just happened. haha, i wouldn't use the onboard sound solution anyway, i just recently snagged a hotdeal to get an audigy 2 for 55 bucks to replace my audigy 1, so that's no problem, but i do notice that the SB gets a little warm. I have that zalman passive sink, does that stabilize my SB for an even higher OC? Maybe I'll just epoxy the corners or something.

flip

edit: I do have a water setup, thats gonna be primarily the CPU>GPU. the northbridge needs to be frozen off though?

no see boards that run at 200fsb say they support pc 3200 because it matches the speed but if you put better pc4000 on it will let the fsb go to 250 stock and my ram went to 287 stable. but i had to put it in 5:4 to go to 300fsb

damn it ;)

posts are so close

i don't think it will give a better oc but it wont hurt to try.

287 fsb on the ram definitely beats out my ram even at cas3 lol. in my case would you keep the wonder chips?

flip

Originally posted by fLiPaChu
oh and cookie, i believe i have CH5 too, miracle sticks you might say.

I have seen some awesome ch-5 chips, i had ocz ones but, it really didnt like being run at 5:4 divider. Unless i pumped extra volts into it.

Flip my man:D

Check the sig, brother. Happy days.

I had myself a whale of a time last night! Played with the Vcore a bit - got the baby up to 1000MHz system bus no problemo!:D

Didn't even have to raise the RAM voltage. I love this game.

The temps are pretty high for my liking though. But, then again, I live in a pretty warm place so the ambient is pretty high. I lowered the FSB back to 243 (from 250) to get a nice 3.4 GHz. The temps are better now - currently:

load: CPU = 50.5 C; PWM = 41 C; Sys = 31 C
idle: CPU = 41 C; PWM = 35 C; Sys = 30 C

I'm happy:p

So I read that the SB get's a little toasty - is that right? Haven't felt it yet, so I don't know.

Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated.

hrm...i just stumbled across here...

I am running an IC7-Max3 with Corsair PC4000 Twinx 2x512 @2.8V

FSB 1:1 250

Running a p4 2.8C so running at 3.5Ghz stable

Thing is...my Vcore is pretty high...I cant remember exactly what, but around 1.675V i think perhaps even 1.7

I dont understand how others are hitting insane clocks at stock voltages.

indeed...i guess i just got a slightly bum chip...having sed that running a 2.8 at 3.5 is nothing to be scoffed at i guess...

Haha, and a big w00t to you, you're playing the game just fine. Congrats. I think i'm gonna stick with a 1ghz bus for a while @ 250 1:1, just don't need the extra speed... yet.. :). that might change when the water is actually installed... taking me forever to design how I want it in. Anyway, gj with the OC. I'll try to get to 3.4 with my 2.4 for you :).

Originally posted by Thunder888
Flip my man:D

Check the sig, brother. Happy days.

I had myself a whale of a time last night! Played with the Vcore a bit - got the baby up to 1000MHz system bus no problemo!:D

Didn't even have to raise the RAM voltage. I love this game.

The temps are pretty high for my liking though. But, then again, I live in a pretty warm place so the ambient is pretty high. I lowered the FSB back to 243 (from 250) to get a nice 3.4 GHz. The temps are better now - currently:

load: CPU = 50.5 C; PWM = 41 C; Sys = 31 C
idle: CPU = 41 C; PWM = 35 C; Sys = 30 C

I'm happy:p

So I read that the SB get's a little toasty - is that right? Haven't felt it yet, so I don't know.

Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated.

I've been fiddling around with her all night, finally come to this conclusion and I'm more than happy :D

First of all the FSB wouldn't go above 230, so after trying various settings (not raising any voltages) and discovering I still had no luck I decided to download the new bios revision.

Bios flashed, rebooted, went into the new bios and changed teh FSB from 230 to 240 and raised the vcore one notch. POST - check - Windows - check :)

So I thought well heck I may as well try for a 250FSB knowing that I may also have to raise the vcore again. Well I tried the 250 first of all with the same vcore used on the 240 and it posted but crashed out loading Windows. So I upped the voltage one notch more (1.6) and booted up fine, infact to here where I'm telling the story lol... I got a nice chip by the look of things ...

cpuz2.JPG

haha, alright guys, can't believe i'm doing this, but i'm letting go of my wonder sticks tonight, look for them on FS/FT if you're interested!

flip

Back