Call of Duty questions from old guy :-)

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I got call of duty 5 with a new video card I bought and thought I try and play it.
I believe the CD I got has version 1.0 (per the version file)

Whats up with the updates 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5?

Do you really have to download and install every one of the seperately?

Also, is there a way to play it w/o the CD in the drive? Seems weird that the disk asked for my key and installed almost 7GB of files on my hard drive and it still needs to be in the drive?

Same thing for Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare I guess, which I just bought at Gamestop.

I'm 37 and never been much into PC gaming but just built a new i7 PC and wanted to play around a bit and see what all the fuss is about :D

nope, you just need to download the lastest

sometimes you have to download all of them, but this is not the case.

there are two kinds of patches

cumulative patches in which you have to download all the versions, like v1.1, v1.2, v1.3
in this case the first patch would be v1.0 to v1.1, the second patch is v1.1 to v1.2, and so on

and in the other hand you have overlapping patches, in which you just have to download the lastest version, and they tend to get bigger with each release (e.g. v1.1 is 100MB, and v1.5 is 500MB, so if you find that some patch v1.1 is 100MB and another patch v1.2 is 20MB there is a big chance this is a cumulative patch)

Last edited:
i just reinstalled COD:WaW last week. you don't need to install all the patches. if i remember correctly, start with 1.4, then install the 1.4-1.5 patch. both are pretty big files. you don't need the dvd in to play multiplayer, but you do need it in to play single player. it's just a "cd check" i believe, no actual game data is loaded from the disc while playing. happy hunting :)

Single player always requires the CD in the drive to play. Multiplayer on the other hand does not. Some versions of the patches need to be installed sequentially while others are cumulative updates. If you downloaded the smaller patches separately you will have to install all of them one at a time. I know Call of Duty 4 can be upgraded straight to version 1.6 and then I've got a 1.6-1.7 patch to get it current. So I only need two patches for that. I'm sure there is a cumulative 1.7 patch out there somewhere if I cared enough to look for it.

Hope that helps.

Makes perfect sense, thanks alot! The Call of Duty 4 I got was "game of the year" so it appears to be 1.6 out of the box so that makes it a bit easier.

There are now over 120 Nazi Zombie maps for CoDWaW. That should keep you busy for awhile.

A friend of mine has the same problem with some games, Prey was bad, playing in a window may help.

Gamershell.com is a great place for gaming downloads, they often host both cumulative and sequential patches if they're available.

Well, people that say you only need the latest patch are wrong here for a fact.

I installed WAW on Win 7 not too long ago and tried that. YOU HAVE TO install patches in this order:
1.2, then 1.4, and then 1.5. When I tried to instlal 1.5 first it told me to get 1.4, 1.4 said that you need 1.2.

Well, people that say you only need the latest patch are wrong here for a fact.

I installed WAW on Win 7 not too long ago and tried that. YOU HAVE TO install patches in this order:
1.2, then 1.4, and then 1.5. When I tried to instlal 1.5 first it told me to get 1.4, 1.4 said that you need 1.2.

hmmm, i was able to install the 1.4 full patch first and then the 1.4-1.5 incremental patch. i downloaded the files from filefront.

Whats up with the updates 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5?

Do you really have to download and install every one of the seperately?
A little better description of patches would be ...

I have no idea what the patches are called... but for example ..

CallofDuty1.5_Full.exe <- full patch
CallofDuty1.4-1.5_Incremental.exe <- patch that means you need 1.4 installed.

Some developers only offer full patches, some offer both. When you download it should be named accordingly or the site will tell you. If there is no mention of it being incremental, then it's likely a full patch, wh ich will include all previous fixes.

hmmm, i was able to install the 1.4 full patch first and then the 1.4-1.5 incremental patch. i downloaded the files from filefront.

Guess I must have missed it then :(. Every single one of those patches is 700mb + :(.

Guess I must have missed it then :(. Every single one of those patches is 700mb + :(.

I don't know why they'd be 700MB. I've got CoDMW-1.6-PatchSetup.exe which is only about 289MB. That patch upgrades Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare version 1.0 to version 1.6. This patch also includes the China Town and Kill House levels. The other patch I use is CoDMW-1.6-1.7-PatchSetup.exe. As it's name implies, it is an incremental patch that upgrades version 1.6 to version 1.7. That patch is 39MB.

I don't know why they'd be 700MB. I've got CoDMW-1.6-PatchSetup.exe which is only about 289MB. That patch upgrades Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare version 1.0 to version 1.6. This patch also includes the China Town and Kill House levels. The other patch I use is CoDMW-1.6-1.7-PatchSetup.exe. As it's name implies, it is an incremental patch that upgrades version 1.6 to version 1.7. That patch is 39MB.

They include new maps that are fairly large. China town and killhouse for COD4 are pretty small maps.

Well, they add maps which are way bigger than COD4 maps which are not very straightforward. They also gave 2 new Zombie maps which both have really redifined the game type in COD5. They added new enemies, new maps and more things to buy.

Solution = Buy from Steam and never worry about having to patch again. :p

Steam had a half-off sale on CoD:W@W this past week (Tuesday and Wednesday, I guess) - it said it was through Thursday, but by the time I went to buy it Thursday night, it was back up to $50. :( Still kicking myself for missing out on that one...

Back