Call of Duty Players Aren't Hardcore Gamers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mark Rubin of Infinity Ward has stated that dedicated Call of Duty (and I guess we have to call them users at this point), aren’t really gamers at all and certainly aren’t hardcore gamers because they only play within the CoD Franchise. I’m sure their non-player fanbase will feel a little differently.

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say; They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night.”

Call of Duty players are a part of everything. They are in the sky and sea. They are in the dreams of children at night. They are all that there is. Forever.

Call of Duty players are a part of everything. They are in the sky and sea. They are in the dreams of children at night. They are all that there is. Forever.

lol, wtf.

What is a "hardcore" gamer anyway?

If it wasn't for the casuals there wouldn't be a gaming industry. We need their $$.

He's probably right, you need to be a little older than 11 to be officially called a "hardcore gamer".

If it wasn't for the casuals there wouldn't be a gaming industry.
Not true, it would just be niche games dedicated to groups of enthusiasts mostly. I'd much prefer that over what we have now.

Even the developer would be more "hardcore" in the making of their game's as it wouldn't be completely about the money.

I thought I was reading a sculelos post for a second there...

I never assumed they were hardcore but publishers sure want them to feel that way.

Quake = hardcore.
UT2004 = not as much but still pretty damn good.

CS = hardcore for less skilled FPS players.
CoD = joke

Mortal Kombat = hardcore as fuck
Street Fighter = hardcore for anime sissies

I would say it's someone with a lot of dedication towards completing challenging games. imo it's not related to how much you play nor is it important what you play (could be tetris or some old ass arcade game). call of duty doesn't really fit in this definition because... it's fucking easy. every gun seems to spray bullets in a 90 degree angle in front of you so noobs can win with a gamepad.

I know quite a few that play nothing but CounterStrike for years and I've only ever seen them on de_dust.

Actually when reading Mark Rubin at Infinity Ward's comments and thinking like Bobby Kotick (his boss) at Activision I know exactly what he meant and I'm gonna translate this message exactly as Mr. Kotick would say it if he had the chance (and what Rubin really meant): "See, Call of Duty gamers aren't really the usual hardcore gamer or even the definition of a gamer. They are a cut above every other gamer on the face of the universe. COD players are on a different echelon compared to Battlefield, HALO, ARMA, Guild Wars, WOW, Diablo, StarCraft, C&C, Zelda, Mario, et al. They are really the only community of any gamer that matter and everybody else should look up at them as they are just better...because they play the Call of Duty franchise."

That's what Rubin meant people and exactly how his boss Bobby would say it. Because remember, Bobby is to video games what Vince McMahon is to sports entertainment to the point they both even think alike. Because in WWE land that's how Vince talks. My thoughts however? I'm not down with that and I could care less what they say. At least these other franchises (especially Battlefield, HALO, Guild Wars, Zelda, Mario and StarCraft have evolved and pushed forward the industry and helped especially in the last 3-5 years (but with Mario and Zelda even longer than that) really shape what we play. What has COD done? Released the same gorram thing since COD4 and doesn't know how to stop. COD is to FPS what Madden NFL is to sports. It's at a point where they both can release the same thing (or something similar) every year and at least make $1 Billion easy.

To finish, I send this out to Mr. Rubin and Mr. Kotick: Boys, you can keep releasing the same thing every year cause I stopped caring after COD: MW2 and no longer touch COD. I'm a Battlefield player and us BF players know only how to do one thing: go above and beyond the call. That is all and until next time I am out!

I just wish they would make another cod4 with graphics improvements. Seriously it was the last great game of the series. Between the silly lag comp, matchmaking, way to many perks and auto killing bots, its a sad game of what it used to be.

I think some people here don't understand this. Most people who play CoD, play it when they get home from work/school for a couple of hours or with their friends and then go on to their regular life. This isn't the same people who play games for hours upon hours. "Casual Players" is the term for it I think.

We all know CoD lamers aren't hardcore at anything except being douches over the mic. :rolleyes:

You want hardcore, play Quakeworld. You'll have CoD wimps retching in 5 minutes from getting motion sick after being juggled repeatedly by rocket+shaft combos. :D

We all know CoD lamers aren't hardcore at anything except being douches over the mic. :rolleyes:

You want hardcore, play Quakeworld. You'll have CoD wimps retching in 5 minutes from getting motion sick after being juggled repeatedly by rocket+shaft combos. :D

ARMA2 samatra wastelanders. They will stalk you, in the dark, through the forest on foot for hours with only a rusty AK47 to kill you once and take your food and water.

I guess someone who is genuinely interested in the game medium, closely follow the gaming news and buy all sorts of games, even those quirky unknown games that sold very poorly. Instead of having a tunnel vision and be locked into a single game, be it CoD, WoW, EA NHL or whatever it might be.

If it wasn't for the casuals there wouldn't be a gaming industry. We need their $$.
Nah, the game industry was fine without the casuals for quite some time, but then the development teams grew from 1-15 people to 100-300 people. That's a lot of paychecks.

Although I guess one could argue that the very first gamers were casuals, playing briefly at the arcades, a few coins at the time.

hardcore is relative

Pretty much. To someone who doesn't play games at all, the idea of a person wasting a few hours a week playing games would probably qualify them as being hardcore.

I don't think "hardcore gamer" is a title I have ever aspired to or desired. :p

So pretty much everyone posting in this thread is a casual as they should be playing instead of hanging here if they think they are HC. :p:D

So what exactly is the definition of a HC player then?

Someone that doesn't cry during thunderstorms and most friday nights. Which, as it turns out, describes most Call of Daycare "players".

Hell my ten year old nephew had a Black Ops themed birthday party complete with BLOPS 2 cups, plates, banners, the works. Black Ops II is literally all that he and his 8 year old brother talk about.

This statement rings true, after all you're hardly a movie buff if all you watch is Batman movies.

Due to the sheer number of copies of CoD games sold that the players encompass all types. Casual, hardcore, and the in betweens. One thing I notice though is that they are fiercely loyal to the franchise. Any criticism and you'll feel the wrath of CoD fandom. I have seen some epic fights between BF3 and CoD threads. Nasty is not even close to what went on in those threads.

I think the definition of "hardcore" is basically "you take this shit way too seriously", hence why it is relative :p
Any criticism and you'll feel the wrath of CoD fandom.
Are you serious? You mention COD on this forum and COD haters flock to bash it as much as possible. I'm not a huge COD fan (last one I bought was WoW), but this forum has a hardcore vendetta against COD.

They're fake gamers. These are the same people who made fun of video gaming in the 90's but now buy every COD and GTA release because the media thinks they're cool.

They think the point of a video game is to shoot someone rather than tell a story in an interactive way.

I just wish they would make another cod4 with graphics improvements. Seriously it was the last great game of the series. Between the silly lag comp, matchmaking, way to many perks and auto killing bots, its a sad game of what it used to be.

COD4 was literally built for the modding community, the developers flat out said it... Every single new feature in it was thought up and beta tested by modders. That is how the game progressed from the original all the way up till WAW. They let the modders give them ideas, and then they turned around and sold us out.

The reason Call of Duty sucks now, is the fact that Infinity Ward killed the modding off. No more mods. No more massive mapping community putting out new map after new map.

No new maps. No new ideas. Just stupid corporate hacks saying smaller and more unreal.

Funny how they are now advertising dedicated servers for the new cod game like that is something so special.

I still play COD4 and WAW, and we are still getting new mods and maps, though the community is finally beginning to taper off.

Sad really. They took a great franchise and destroyed it, because the stupid s wanted to monetize everything and failed at that as well.

Due to the sheer number of copies of CoD games sold that the players encompass all types. Casual, hardcore, and the in betweens. One thing I notice though is that they are fiercely loyal to the franchise. Any criticism and you'll feel the wrath of CoD fandom. I have seen some epic fights between BF3 and CoD threads. Nasty is not even close to what went on in those threads.

Sounds like the hardcore fanboys of any game. Most people who play CoD don't really care if you bash it or not, they just have fun playing it. Just like many people who play Battlefield probably don't care what you say about it, it's just the fanboys who make it out to be like that.

Should change the title to CONSOLE players are not gamers.

Real gamers play on the PC.

Right. I don't game on a PC (other than emulators), but grew up in the arcades and have been playing consoles since Pong and the 2600.

Guess I'd be considered a casual gamer, if one at all, since I rarely play anymore. But usually a few times a year, I'll get hooked into a good RPG and play the damn thing to 100% completion. What in the hell difference does it make if I waste a solid month playing on a console, cabinet, cellphone or a PC??

I tried to get my girlfriend to play a game of 3some once.... am i hardcore?

"Gamers are self-obsessed, incompetent, megalomaniacal people who, due to their inability to realize their freakish fantasies, resort to the alternate reality provided by various mind-numbing, pocket-emptying, IQ-draining, socio-politically insignificant games as an attempt to fulfill the need of their bloated egos and to mask the pimples, freckles, and pock-marks which crater their pale, sunlight-deprived faces, resulting in the non-existence of their social lives. If they do happen to have friends, they will be the first to say "Bros B4 Hoes" the second that friend meets up with a girl."

- http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Gamer

lol , I miss the days where there are just gamers just having fun, now its like a requirement that people need to be hardcore to be a true gamer, you need to be on the pc to be a true gamer, when the day comes that people say only "these colored people" are gamers, well I'm not sure what to think about anymore :D

If I had to guess what he means, I would say that it would be the people who ONLY play COD and that's it....Quickly go through the campaign and play Multiplayer until the new one comes out the next year. Basiclally calling a COD-Only player a Hardcore gamer, would be like calling a person who only watches Micheal Bay movies a film-expert.

Back