Call of Duty 4 - best game ever

Love this game so far. got it for console and pc. console so my brothers can play at home. highly epic experience.

COD2 is my alltime favourite SP FPS, BF1942 is my alltime fav MP FPS. I was looking forward to COD4 as most modern FPS just didn't do it for me and often turned out to be a vehicle frag fest, things just too overpowered or just too fast paced..... not to say COD4 is slow, it's just not insane like Quake or UT.... and I have a chance to take a sip of my beverage ;)

COD4, although very impressive graphics and effects, is more like a COD2 expansion. The game was completed on hardened in two sittings.... COD2 took me several weeks and lots of replayability. I will replay COD4 SP but I doubt as much as I did with COD2 just becuase of the length of the game..... ideally if mod tools come out so you can make your own SP campaigns or maps, that'd be cool.

MP though is quite good and the promotion/chellenge/perk system is keeping me hooked for now. If it wasn't for MP mode, this game would have been a lemon at the price I paid. I'm pretty sure even MOH Airborne was a longer SP campaign, I think that took me a week and a half.

The good side is my PC doesn't break a sweat in COD4 running everything maxed unlike the Crysis demo..... I don't care how good the graphics are, if my pc struggles with fps, then I'll skip it.

I enjoyed COD4, but COD1 was better.

Dude, if you liked COD1 you definately gotta play COD2! Although, just be sure to get the WCP realism mod too ;)

I love Cod4, it took me 3 to 4 days to finish it. Veteran difficulty is awesome and you will rip your face off trying to beat some hardass levels.
The Multiplayer feels like deathmatch on Cod4, there is no space to work tactically unless you work hard via voip.

anyone know how to see ur fps during a game how to turn that on and off?

And you know this how? Are you Cevat Yerli? Have you played a full retail version of the game including singleplayer, and multiplayer on all difficulty settings? I didn't think so...

The demo's been released, and since the idea of a demo is to represent and give an accurate taste of the finished game, it's safe to say that Crysis is a sexed-up FarCry with a hollow gimmick of a nanosuit that when in "SPEED MODE" lets you sprint five yards, and in "STRENGTH MODE" lets you jump marginally higher.

Crysis looks fun and i'll be buying it, but it became clear months ago that it's no longer pure gold. Closer to gilt pewter. Or dogshit.

The demo's been released, and since the idea of a demo is to represent and give an accurate taste of the finished game, it's safe to say that Crysis is a sexed-up FarCry with a hollow gimmick of a nanosuit that when in "SPEED MODE" lets you sprint five yards, and in "STRENGTH MODE" lets you jump marginally higher.

Crysis looks fun and i'll be buying it, but it became clear months ago that it's no longer pure gold. Closer to gilt pewter. Or dogshit.

Oh, you are wrong sir, very wrong...

cg_drawfps 1

Yes..and please open a console first. I get tired of people typing "cg_drawfps 1" and having it show up in chat and then I tell them to open a console first and then they type "cg_drawfps 1" 2 or 3 more times and it still doesn't work and they get pissed and I tell them again and they don't pay attention to me then they start trying something else like "cg_showfps 1" or "cg_drawfps on" or whatever. Just open a console first by hitting the key just below your ESC key (most keyboards). Thank you for your time and patience in excellence.

I was exaggerating by the time i'd got to "dogshit". granted, but I don't think there'll be many people too impressed by Crysis.

Well... you don't seem to be madly keen on it however - judging from the demo Crysis is a top-notch game.

I must have missed something in the demo ... To me Crysis felt like farcry with a graphics upgrade. I mean come on patrol boats, hummers, and a beach front? At least Farcry 2 is going to have an original setting.

Im all for better graphics, physics, and destructible environments, but these features do not make a game, they add to it, not the opposite.

CoD4 was/is a great game experience. The missions are varied, take the AC-130 mission for example, the environments are varied, and the story was compelling. CoD4 is my first experience withj XBOX live and I have to say I really enjoy it. The way you advance in ranks to unlock weapons, attachments, perks, paint schemes .. and the XBOX live achievements are great.

Well, COD 4's demo presented to me yet another linear follow the path to objective game. Go to Pc Gaming, and click on Crysis review. The Reviews that are coming back for it are better than COD4. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1240862

Crysis will be amazing, and already beats COD4 for the sheer fact of how open ended the game is, and how even 3+ years down the road the game will still be a benchmark, be relevant, and will still be replayable. You can only replay a good linear game so many times. I played the COD4 demo and it was great. And now, I have played the Crysis demo 10+ times with it never getting old b/c of how different each scenario can be.

As great as COD4 is, Crysis will be a much longer lasting game. Even when I build my next computer in probably a year or two, or if I upgrade, i'll want to play the game again to see how it looks. The same thing happened with FarCry, and I know this game will be just as, if not more enjoyable.

It felt to me that the devs were working so hard on the engine that they had to cut'n paste farcry mod for the game. When I tried crysis it failed to impress me. When I tried COD I was very impressed. That's why I bought COD4 instead of crysis.

So I was curious, all the perks and things you get from playing online, what happens if you uninstall? I dont remember like registering an account or anything just installed and put in my player name?

Well, COD 4's demo presented to me yet another linear follow the path to objective game. Go to Pc Gaming, and click on Crysis review. The Reviews that are coming back for it are better than COD4. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1240862

Crysis will be amazing, and already beats COD4 for the sheer fact of how open ended the game is, and how even 3+ years down the road the game will still be a benchmark, be relevant, and will still be replayable. You can only replay a good linear game so many times. I played the COD4 demo and it was great. And now, I have played the Crysis demo 10+ times with it never getting old b/c of how different each scenario can be.

As great as COD4 is, Crysis will be a much longer lasting game. Even when I build my next computer in probably a year or two, or if I upgrade, i'll want to play the game again to see how it looks. The same thing happened with FarCry, and I know this game will be just as, if not more enjoyable.

I'm just going to have to disagree. Open ended games are over rated. Being a game developer myself, I see the advantages both ways. I just find that people see scripted games as a bad thing, when theres no reason to. They just see the new psuedo GTA open ended gametype as being new "next step" when most of the games you remember as being great are not open ended, are are highly script based.

I feel that Far Cry (Oh, sorry I meant Crysis) will not be able to capture the player as well as COD4 did. And, coming from a developer point of view COD4 is much, much better optimized than Crysis is. You will not be able to convince me that Crysis is technologically superior to all other games whatsoever in an attempt to justify it's terrible performance. The current engine that I work with offers more high end shaders, and effects than even the Crysis engine, and I run a higher poly count and just as much post processing, and I'm able to get considerably better performance even without the final optimization being performed. I see Crysis as a HIGHLY unoptimized game from a developer perspective, I would even go so far as to say there is a belligerant disregard for optimization. It has nothing to do with the engine's ability, or its "cutting edge" graphics - crysis is by and large is an example of what happens when you hype and sell a game with screenshots to hide the fact that it's not optimized well. I sincerely hope that future game patches will increase framerates, however knowing very well how the game industry works, most likely if it wasn't a priority pre-release, fat chance it will be post-release.

Crysis will be amazing, and already beats COD4 for the sheer fact of how open ended the game is, and how even 3+ years down the road the game will still be a benchmark, be relevant, and will still be replayable. You can only replay a good linear game so many times.

This is what I mean. This whole "open-ended game" thing is a total fallacy. The only open-ended, infinitely varied and replayable game ever made is SecondLife, because there's nothing to sodding do. As much as a developer might tout their game as replayable, it's still limited in that you have to do x and y to progress.

Is it possible, in crysis, to get right to the alien part of the game by simply circumventing the first few enemy encampments, swimming around the island? The answer is no, so what people mean by "replayable" and "open-ended" is that the first time you encounter that Korean soldier by the chicken coop you may choose to shoot him, whereas the second time you might feel like picking him up and chucking him into a tree. That's no different to killing some generic russian militant with a grenade as opposed to a pistol.

Crysis is not open-ended. Oblivion is not open-ended. Stalker is not open-ended. None of these are "infinitely replayable, with each time offering a wildly different experience to the last". You are buying into marketing spiel.

I loved playing through COD4 SP, but I play FPS games for the MP side of things. From what I can gather, from the reviews and hearsay, the MP in COD4 is superior to Crysis. This is what makes me go back and play a game for an extended amount of time. I will try the crysis demo tonight, but from what I have seen, it looks like a generic fps to me.

I loved playing through COD4 SP, but I play FPS games for the MP side of things. From what I can gather, from the reviews and hearsay, the MP in COD4 is superior to Crysis. This is what makes me go back and play a game for an extended amount of time. I will try the crysis demo tonight, but from what I have seen, it looks like a generic fps to me.

it is. Except you can shoot trees in half at 25fps.

So I was curious, all the perks and things you get from playing online, what happens if you uninstall? I dont remember like registering an account or anything just installed and put in my player name?

I'm now curious about this as well.

COD4 is one of the best Multi-player games I have played in a long time.I just wish a could play the game as many hours as I have just trying to join the damn servers. Activision should be shot.

not to say COD4 is slow, it's just not insane like Quake or UT.... and I have a chance to take a sip of my beverage ;)

You don't play MP on the same servers I do, then. At fist, not knowing the maps, I felt like as soon as I spawned, I was having to defend myself. Once I learned the maps half way decent, I was better able to defend a position and then move on from there. Really fast, alot going on. And this is from a guy that plays the super speed mod on Quake 3...what's it called again...voggon or somethin'.

There is a file in your players/(profilename) directory called "mpdata". That stores your unlocks and weapons and whatnot. You may also want to back up your cfg files in that directory since those store your settings and your class names if you've made any custom ones.

When I uninstalled and reinstalled the game on another machine, all I did was copy the mpdata file into my directory and I had all my unlocks and rank (currently major general). This file MIGHT be shareable but might be locked to the profile name. I'm uncertain about this since I've not tried it. Your ranks and unlocks 'n all are NOT saved online anywhere. They might be tracked, but are not retrievable from anywhere as I can tell.

There is a file in your players/(profilename) directory called "mpdata". That stores your unlocks and weapons and whatnot. You may also want to back up your cfg files in that directory since those store your settings and your class names if you've made any custom ones.

When I uninstalled and reinstalled the game on another machine, all I did was copy the mpdata file into my directory and I had all my unlocks and rank (currently major general). This file MIGHT be shareable but might be locked to the profile name. I'm uncertain about this since I've not tried it. Your ranks and unlocks 'n all are NOT saved online anywhere. They might be tracked, but are not retrievable from anywhere as I can tell.

If it's all saved on the user side, what stops us from just changing the values?

Man, that sucks... I guess it uses a secured and verified unique algorithim attached to your cdkey to verify the checksum on your mpdata file.

I can't take a game that lasts 4 to 5 hours seriously. it's good, but one of the shortest games ever.

what if someone releases a SP map that has the best gameplay ever, are you gonna call it the best game ever?

If it's all saved on the user side, what stops us from just changing the values?
It's probably encrypted, but I see no reason you couldn't just copy someone else's.

edit: Missed the post that attached the CD key to the algorithm. Guess that would be a reason :)

I can't take a game that lasts 4 to 5 hours seriously. it's good, but one of the shortest games ever.

what if someone releases a SP map that has the best gameplay ever, are you gonna call it the best game ever?
I heard it's good too, but damn, ~ 5 hours? Looks like it more of an MP game then... did not like the SP demo too much though.

it is. Except you can shoot trees in half at 25fps.
:rolleyes:

No offense but you obviously have not heard/played Crysis/Crysis MP at all, and are just talking out of your ass.

If this is the big deal with Crysis, I will pass.
No.

Interactive plants don't help gamepay.
Oh it adds.. it adds... :D

I agree, so far, COD4 is absolutely amazing.

The SP is pretty good but I've been playing the MP for hours on end, something I haven't done since i first got into Cstrike.

it is linked to your cd key
still, once someone figures out how to hex edit it to give you all the unlocks, I wouldn't be suprised if the information runs rampant through the internet...everyone will be a 5 star general.
I'm sure there are several by now. I've only seen 1 5 star online so far. And all in all, not that many generals at all. However, I normally play TDM and DM games. Other game modes might have more dedicated players. I dunno. I can tell you that in team games, you can get points quicker. From what I could tell in a game of HQ, points are racked up like mad. I think it's 10 for each kill, maybe 5 for an assist. Points for defending, points for capturing. It's crazy. DM is definitely not the fastest way to rank up.

yea its not really a good ranking system, niot nearly what BF2 has..

Its almost like the threw it in right at the end just for the hell of it.

call of duty 4 > crysis

Linear gameplay with no interaction versus Crysis...where you can break just about anything, go just about anywhere on most levels, do things the way you want, get off the main path, drive all kinds of vehicles, etc.

It's a matter of taste, but Crysis has more content and things to do gameplay-wise offline and online. (though without the way of leveling up) COD4 will go down as a really good game, but it's still just an improved COD game, more comparable to HL2 if anything, since they're both linear and don't offer much replayability. (you'll see the same cutscenes every time, your team mates will always hide in the same places in COD, etc.)

Both good games, but very different...and Crysis is the only one offering anything new. (lots of things, actually)

Both good games, but very different...and Crysis is the only one offering anything new. (lots of things, actually)

New, as in prettiest, most overhyped slide-show of the year? I'll pass.

Like what? Everything in Crysis has been done before, but at a better framerate.

Back