Call me a nub, but I've never seen one of these before

EnderW said:
I lost count of all the different 3400+ chips a long time ago :confused:

S754 Newcastle = 2.4/512
S754 Clawhammer = 2.2/1024
S754 Clawhammer DTR = 2.2/1024
S939 Newcastle = 2.2/512

I have heard that if you are lucky, you can get a mobile A64 chip to run in your normal desktop... is this true?

ive heard all the mobile chips work in normal desktop motherbaords..but most heatsinks dont touch the core good enough ...thats all i know about DTR Chip

Dudeyourlame said:
ive heard all the mobile chips work in normal desktop motherbaords..but most heatsinks dont touch the core good enough ...thats all i know about DTR Chip

most boards do not officaly support the DTR's, but will work with some TLC. Indeed, you need a different type of heatsink/cooling solution as there is no integrated heat spreader.

DTR's run on slightly less voltage.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1321894

That should tell you all you need to know about mobile A64s. I got one of those a few days ago from excaliberpc, got it running at 2.82 ghz using watercooling. Temps are never above 51C. They are pretty good cpus, since they have the 1mb cache, as long as you have a heatsink that will work with them. Also, not having the heatspreader makes them run quite a bit cooler.

you need a different type of heatsink/cooling solution as there is no integrated heat spreader.
get something like a Swiftech MCX6400V and you'll be fine. pretty much anything that doesn't use the clamp/lever retention setup will fine. Of course watercooling also can get away with using them as well.

Works great on my A64 3200 + (sans IHS).

oh and it's n00b, not nub (see thread title)...:D

CLARIFICATION!!!

ok, the mobile is not the same thing as the dtr.
dtr is basically the same thing as the normal desktop a64's, but without the heatspreader. there are some slight differences, like they put out a bit less heat, but they run at the same voltage
mobile's are the ones with reduced voltage. amd dropped it down to 1.4v. it seems like there are a few boards that have slight issues with running the mobile chip. some refuse to boot, others lock the multi down to 4x. silly things like that.

as far as oc'ing potential is concered though, the 3400+ mobile looks like a nice chip on paper. not too many cores that i know of can do 2.2ghz at 1.4v.
my 3200+ needs 1.45v for that, and amd generally specs their parts pretty conservatively, so it should be good for another 100-150mhz without changing voltage

Tenchi4U said:
oh and it's n00b, not nub (see thread title)...:D

Haha well I guess I've been playing too much Natural Selection then.

Thanks everyone! I'm not interested in getting one, I just wanted to know what they were exactly.

Back