Caching a Network Drive

Cool1Net6

Limp Gawd
I recently joined the WHS crew and got an HP MediaSmart Server. I migrated all 1.7TB of my data off of my desktop to that machine and I love it.

However, I am having an issue with data availability. Every now and then, I lose access to my data because the WHS rebooted from Windows Updates, or a piece of software updated, or the switch gets unplugged, or something else 'minor'. During this time, my data is completely unavailable, and since 95% of the time the WHS is in use, it is massively inconvenient to have it drop out, especially without warning.

I tried experimenting with Offline Files to get it to cache files to minimize this effect, but it took forever to 'sync', never finished, and it cached a bunch of not-frequently-accessed files I didnt care about. I cannot cache 1.7TB locally, and dont want to cache items that are not 'frequently accessed'.

Is there a way, using Offline Files or something better, to have a set of network locations cached such that only the files that I have previously accessed are cached?

-Cool-

offline file synchronization only works with synching a folder, not recently-accessed files.

As far as I know.

offline folders has 3 options, one of which will solve your problem:

Automatic Caching Of Documents—This option relies on the workstation and server computers to automatically download and make available offline any opened files from the shared folder. Older copies of files are automatically deleted to make room for newer and more recently accessed files.

at the same time.. i see how my answer is old school..

even though it is a waste of resources... cache the last 10% of shit you use.. why not??

offline folders has 3 options, one of which will solve your problem:

Automatic Caching Of Documents—This option relies on the workstation and server computers to automatically download and make available offline any opened files from the shared folder. Older copies of files are automatically deleted to make room for newer and more recently accessed files.

in Vista or 7? That option isn't available in XP, anyway. Not that I can find.

Use this guide:
http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA20000869.htm

It's available for XP too
half way down it says this:

Automatic Caching For Documents: With this option, when a user opens a file in this shared folder, it will be automatically downloaded and made available offline without the user specifying that it be an offline file. Older copies of a file will be deleted automatically to make room for files that have been accessed more recently. With this option, a file that the user has not opened while online will not be available offline.

turn off auto updates and put your switch on a ups..??
I did that now, but that doesn't protect against scheduled downtime.

Thank you! The Automatic Caching for Documents does exactly what I want it to do. I was able to continue playing an album while I took the server offline for upgrades. The option needs to be set on the server, not the client, which is why j-sta might not have found it.

-Cool-

The option needs to be set on the server, not the client, which is why j-sta might not have found it.

-Cool-

yup, that would be why I've never seen it. I even took a look at some of the shares on the servers I administer at work and couldn't find that option for some reason.

but anywho, learn something new every day! :D

ya sorry, its on the server side - forgot to mention that
it sets that rule for all clients who use that folder which is nice

Back