Cable via Usb, doesn't work :(

ImNoGod

Limp Gawd
So, my modem works fine if i use an ethernet cord from the modem to my computer. But not if i use a USB cord from my modem to my computer. What gives? I have tried re-installing the drivers but that didn't do anything. I have Adelphia highspeed cable. BTW.

ImNoGod said:
Yes, don't ask long story.
Well, it's possible someone here can get you hooked up the right way. No one should have to ever resort using USB for connecting to a modem!

Anyway, what kind of modem do you have?

Blitzrommel said:
Well, it's possible someone here can get you hooked up the right way. No one should have to ever resort using USB for connecting to a modem!

Anyway, what kind of modem do you have?

Terayon
TJ 715

[H]exx said:
Here's a good one...and I have seen MULTIPLE people do this....is the network cord still plugged in while you have the USB plugged in? :cool:

Cable to box, power to box, box to computer via USB is the setup.

ImNoGod said:
Yes, don't ask long story.

A litany of things is streaming through my head as to Why? :rolleyes:

The long story could more likely get you the shorter correct answer. :p

Can you please tell us why you are connecting from the modem to the PC via USB? It may be a long story, but it can probably help us fix the initial problem that caused you to resort to the USB method.

AMD[H]unter said:
Can you please tell us why you are connecting from the modem to the PC via USB? It may be a long story, but it can probably help us fix the initial problem that caused you to resort to the USB method.

Alright i'll sum it up. I need to give internet to 5 different things. 4 computers, One XBOX. Problem was/is i only have a four port router. So my thinking was that i could go MODEM to pc by USB, Pc to router by ethernet cable, Router to the remaining four devices.

But now i found an extra Ethernet card so i can have 2 ethernet ports in my computer (Mind you one of these is intergrated on the motherboard). So can i go MODEM to onboard ethernet port with an ethernet cable, than ethernet cable from my add on pci card to router, than router to the other four devices?

Your best bet would be to just buy a cheap switch, and plug that into your router. Just about any computer store should have a really, really cheap 10/100 4 or 8 port switch.

But yes, you should be able to do it the way you have setup. I wouldn't be surpised if you have all sorts of issues though with Games/Live/etc, since now you are double NATed.

Heck I bet you could find someone on here with an old switch they'd just give away for shipping. I would, but all I've got left is an 8 port 10mb hub, which I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. :)

JBark said:
Your best bet would be to just buy a cheap switch, and plug that into your router. Just about any computer store should have a really, really cheap 10/100 4 or 8 port switch.

But yes, you should be able to do it the way you have setup. I wouldn't be surpised if you have all sorts of issues though with Games/Live/etc, since now you are double NATed.

Heck I bet you could find someone on here with an old switch they'd just give away for shipping. I would, but all I've got left is an 8 port 10mb hub, which I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. :)

Alright cool, im gonna give that setup a try and if it doesn't work ill get a switch.

ImNoGod said:
Alright cool, im gonna give that setup a try and if it doesn't work ill get a switch.

See? I knew if you posted the origional problem, someone would find the solution. I was at work or it would have been me. :p

I may have a switch you can have for shipping, let me look and I will post back.

ImNoGod said:
But now i found an extra Ethernet card so i can have 2 ethernet ports in my computer (Mind you one of these is intergrated on the motherboard). So can i go MODEM to onboard ethernet port with an ethernet cable, than ethernet cable from my add on pci card to router, than router to the other four devices?

So far this method is working for the specific pc, im hoping all the other devices on the router will work too, though i haven't had an opertunity to try them yet.

Sorry but I really don’t think you can solve your problem this way. Your router has 4 ports and an uplink port right? Well from what I know that uplink port can’t be connected to a PC. You have to use one of the four ports just like before.

I would recommend switching back to using the router and its firewall. Get a cheap switch and with a little luck you won’t need a crossover cable. If you end up having to buy one local you will most likely pay out the ass for it.

Your other option would be to install a PCI NIC in to your PC and connect one of the other devices to it. This will require sharing and bridging the connections on your PC to make it work. It has been awhile since I had to do that so sorry for the lack of details.

Do your self a favor though and buy a switch.

Back