Cable TV on one, Satellite on the other, over distance, how?

lappyhappy

Weaksauce
I travel between the USA and Europe a lot and my place in the USA has cable tv and my place in Europe has Sky (Satellite) TV. I'd like to be able to watch either one from either place through my computer. Anybody know if this can be done and if so how?

Well, with cable here in the US, you just need a tv tuner card.
What sort of output goes from the satellite boxes in Europe? SCART?

Probably through some type of Slingbox apparatus. Possible problems though:

1. Upload capacity of each location
2. US content is DRM'd to hell and back, especially digital TV. SD is not, 'cept for PPV.
3. Probably need a beefy PC that you can SSH/RDP/VNC too with a DVB-T/S card to stream and transcode your satellite signal overseas back here.

Using the EU PC as a Tivo might be much more feasible instead of live tv.

Well, with cable here in the US, you just need a tv tuner card.
What sort of output goes from the satellite boxes in Europe? SCART?

You're correct about the satellite boxes in Europe - they are SCART. (On a side note, how did you know that?!? I'd never seen scart before going to Europe...)

TV Tuner card I can understand.. but how do I get everything setup? I assume I need a server in each location that is running a tv tuner card and then patches the signals over the web to my laptop wherever I am. Or is there another way?

Probably through some type of Slingbox apparatus. Possible problems though:

1. Upload capacity of each location
2. US content is DRM'd to hell and back, especially digital TV. SD is not, 'cept for PPV.
3. Probably need a beefy PC that you can SSH/RDP/VNC too with a DVB-T/S card to stream and transcode your satellite signal overseas back here.

Using the EU PC as a Tivo might be much more feasible instead of live tv.

Still having some trouble understanding how everything is setup and connected...

Let's say money is no issue... what's the best way?

I'd like to be able to watch either one from either place through my computer. Anybody know if this can be done and if so how?

So you want to watch your satellite feed from Europe, on your computer, while sitting in your USA room?

Still having some trouble understanding how everything is setup and connected...

Let's say money is no issue... what's the best way?

The Slingbox would stream your signals through the web. It should also be able to stream recordings, instead of live TV. Google for slingbox. You'll need one at each location.

There was also some software called ORB... Google for that, too, lol.

So you want to watch your satellite feed from Europe, on your computer, while sitting in your USA room?

Exactly.

The Slingbox would stream your signals through the web. It should also be able to stream recordings, instead of live TV. Google for slingbox. You'll need one at each location.

OK I check these out thx

You're correct about the satellite boxes in Europe - they are SCART. (On a side note, how did you know that?!? I'd never seen scart before going to Europe...)

I have an acronym fetish.... :D

No, actually, I think I came across it years ago when looking into s-video to vga conversion boxes

The Slingbox looks like it'll do the trick. Good price too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back