• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cable Speed Tests - Significantly Different Results

_Durandal_

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
352
A client of mine called me with a question regarding his RoadRunner internet connection. He has the 5Mbps service, for reference. When he runs different online speed tests, he gets different results based on which computer the test is run from.

For example:

His invoicing computer and the kids PC both run the following tests perfectly...4.5Mbps

http://www.aroundcinci.com
http://www.dslreports.com
http://www.bandwidthplace.com
http://speedtest.wi.rr.com/

Now, if he runs this test from his desktop PC, the results from the RoadRunner test site are perfect, yet all the others report that he is only topping out at 2.5 or 3Mbps. Any clues as to why this happens?

I should note, that recently, I was out there working on his PC's and noticed he was only achieving 1.5Mbps on all of his computers. We called Time Warner, and they determined it was a problem with the cable modem itself. Now, since the replacement, things are better, but not what they should be (according to the sites above).

All of the computers are similar in specificatios, spyware free, and are not running any sort of firewall software (other than the one installed with Windows XP's SP2). The only thing in common is they all pass through a Linksys SRX200 router, but if two of the three PCs can pass the speedtest, why cant' the third?

So, my only guess would be network card drivers, or just a NIC not functioning properly. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Oh, I should note, that he tried to run these tests on a wireless laptop and I was under the impression that he would never achieve a 5Mbps download rate using wireless...not entirely sure though, so that's why I'm asking.
 
Don't use online bandwidth tests.

http://ftp.netscape.com

Typically you could use this as a true bench of your lines capabilities. Might want to try it late or early if you want to be sure. Same thing with a large Microsoft download. Do not trusts online bandwidth meters, period.
 
try using an eth. cable connected to the router. is it possible to connect the affected box to the modem directly? if it is, try that as well.
 
The RR site is going to be the best due that it's on the RR local network. When you run speed test you are testing a line between YOU and the test SITE. this link can very is speed and performance from point to point.
 
Zardoz said:
The RR site is going to be the best due that it's on the RR local network. When you run speed test you are testing a line between YOU and the test SITE. this link can very is speed and performance from point to point.

Ditto.
 
Zardoz said:
The RR site is going to be the best due that it's on the RR local network. When you run speed test you are testing a line between YOU and the test SITE. this link can very is speed and performance from point to point.
Right, and that makes perfect sense. It's no wonder Time Warner insists that if their test checks out ok, the cable service must be running correctly.

I will have him try that speakeasy site listed above, as well as connecting the PC directly to the cable modem itself. Thanks all.

Still open to additional suggestions (in case you have last minute thoughts) :D
 
Also, keep in mind that Road Runner does not have any control beyond the edge of their network. Internet traffic and lag will play a BIG part in bandwidth tests.
 
Hi All,

I should note that I talked with my client, and he tried all that was suggested. In the end he said he tried a different PCI slot for his NIC and all of a sudden it's working as it's supposed to...

So, for now I guess we'll assume it's fixed. The only reason I made the initial post is because I too use RR and I can run all of the test sites listed at 4.5Mbps consistently...which is why I was confused about his setup...if I can achieve the correct speeds (as well as a friend of mine) why can't he?
 
Back
Top