cable purchasing

nomak

Limp Gawd
went to order some cat5e cable today in bulk and I noticed it said it was ETL verified TIA/EIA 568B.2.. my question is will this still work in my home enviroment and is this just some new fancy classifiaction of the standards of cat5e cable.or Is there something more going on here.. I googled it but couldnt find a laymans term on what it is...lol.. hoping someone my be able to shed some light onthis for me. thanks,..

TIA is Telecommunications Industry Association.
ETL is a group kinda like ul - Underwriters Labratory. Basically meaning it has met certain safety standards.
568B is the wiring scheme. Brown, Brown-White, Green, Blue-White, Blue, Green White, Orange, Orange-White. (Looking at the top of a CAT5 Plug, from left to right.)
If Im not mistaken, the .2 is the standard revision it complies to.

You can read more about the 568B standard here.

so basically it just a new standard implemented by TIA and ETL and can possibly be used with cat 6 standards as well and achieve same performances when using gigabit speeds in the future when its added as 568-b-2.1 ???? but I am assuming it will still work in my home network as well with my existing cat5e wiring...I just never noticed this standard rating on cables before.. new by me..lol...I just completed a net+ course not long ago and I just didnt remeber a 568B2 standard being mentioned.. they always have to be changing stuff...lol thanks.. for the page.. I never ran across that one on google...

If you've not noticed that rating on your cables before, it's due to your missing the labelling, or buying really horrible cable.

TIA/EIA-568 (A/B) should be labelled on every piece of Cat-5 cable sold to consumers for the past (don't hold me to this, but I think it's correct) fifteen years.

Your cable has no assurance that it will reach Gigabit over Copper, but most currently sold Cat-5e cables are tested to a 350MHz signal, which should be roughly comparable to the current Gig over Copper standards.

And, for runs of cable under 100' carrying a 100baseTX signal (most home networks), the order of the wires is almost irrelevant, barring extreme inductance from a nearby wire, provided that they're the same on both ends.

I'd wire it TIA-568B though, just because it works, it's the standard, and it's a great thing to know. White-Orange, Orange, White-Green, Blue, White-Blue, Green, White-Brown, Brown as seen looking at the contacts, from left to right.

ElaborateDream said:
If you've not noticed that rating on your cables before, it's due to your missing the labelling, or buying really horrible cable.

TIA/EIA-568 (A/B) should be labelled on every piece of Cat-5 cable sold to consumers for the past (don't hold me to this, but I think it's correct) fifteen years.

were talking about CAT5E TIA/EIA-568-2 cabling not TIA/EIA-568(a/b) different standards there... yeah the TIA/EIA-568(a/b) standards have been on there but now there are new standards.....there stearing away from the 568 A standard all together with the CAT5 slowly but surely as well and going to CAT5E then to CAT6 with the 568B or 568b-2 on CAT5E and 568-2.1 for CAT6 cables.... just FYI...

The standards are the same TIA/EIA-568.

The subsections and revisions have changed. I'm sorry, I didn't fully understand your first post to be purely about the Cat-5e revision of the spec, I guess I made the logical leap that if you were that competent with standards, you would realize that any cable that adheres to TIA/EIA-568 is compatible with any other cable under the same standard, but that the subsections can allow you to do different things with them.

Any higher revision will allow all lower revisions to work on the same cable, it's just not required that you have the higher revision.

ElaborateDream said:
The standards are the same TIA/EIA-568.

The subsections and revisions have changed. I'm sorry, I didn't fully understand your first post to be purely about the Cat-5e revision of the spec, I guess I made the logical leap that if you were that competent with standards, you would realize that any cable that adheres to TIA/EIA-568 is compatible with any other cable under the same standard, but that the subsections can allow you to do different things with them.

Any higher revision will allow all lower revisions to work on the same cable, it's just not required that you have the higher revision.

I assumed they would work .. I just wanted some clarification on the new standards being used is all.. as stated before I just completed NET + course and have been certified...so I know my TIA standards as well as way to many others to list..lol.... I had just never ran across this new standard recently released...thanks,,,

Back