cable modems

jrg70

Weaksauce
Just a quick question...

Are all cable modems created equal?
I've currently got cable modem service from Time Warner (Simi Valley, CA; Southern California). I'm using their cable modem but I'd like to get my own and not pay the monthly rental fee.

Are there any things I should know or anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

I've always preferred Motorola Surfboard cable modems as I've seen the best results regarding throughput, steady speeds and longevity with them although much of that also has to do with the connection you have.

Whichever model or models of cable modems you are looking at, it would be best to call up the cable company and ask them if a specific model will work fine on their network.

//raises another hand for the Moto Surfboard....
Currently the 5120 models seem to be the most widely beloved models by people..INCLUDING cable ISP techs. (an IMO..their opinion counts quite a bit).

Soon to be replaced by the newer 6100 series....probably be a few months til you see those through regular distributer channels.

You can find 5120 model, still in the sealed shrink wrapped box, on fleabay for 50-60 dollars. Get one....plug it in..call your ISP...have them "provision" it..(you read them the MAC address of your new modem...they upload a config file to it..reboot it) takes about 10-15 minutes...and you're up and running.

I agree with the others, get a good supported Motorola and be worry free. I've had 4 different Moto models in the last 10 years and they've all been trouble free.

I've always preferred Motorola Surfboard cable modems as I've seen the best results regarding throughput, steady speeds and longevity with them although much of that also has to do with the connection you have.

Second that....

Moto's are good, Ambit modems seem to have decent tuners in them, and I still like Terayon modems as well(they've been bought by Moto).

The cable modems given out are just fine. Toshiba, Terayaki, Moto, and Ambit. I would advise not to get your own, because you probably won't get any discount (sign up) and they charge you for your own, and when you get struck by lightening, you have to worry about warranty.

The head-end at the Cable company controls what kind of speed you get anyway, trying to get around this IMO is pointless.

Use your $100 on a 32GB OCZ USB drive instead.:D

Another vote for Motorolas Surfboards. Their pricey but damn, i've never had an issue with mine.

The cable modems given out are just fine. Toshiba, Terayaki, Moto, and Ambit. I would advise not to get your own, because you probably won't get any discount (sign up) and they charge you for your own, and when you get struck by lightening, you have to worry about warranty.

The head-end at the Cable company controls what kind of speed you get anyway, trying to get around this IMO is pointless.

Use your $100 on a 32GB OCZ USB drive instead.:D

I've seen a number of different cable modems over the years and they are not all created equal by any means. I've seen some that will no get the same throughput or keep steady throughput like others. I've seen some that when under a load will shut down and reset. Just to test this out, I've taken my cable modem to another person's house (same service in the same area obviously) and hooked mine up. A decent Motorola Surfboard cable modem has managed to deal with higher speeds while providing steadier throughput with no overheating or dropped connections.

Every person I know who has cable in my area who has contacted me about problems with their cable all turned out to have something other than Motorola. I told them to have the cable company replace it with a Motorola or buy their own. The problems, outside of service outages, all seemed to go away with the replacement of the other modem.

I've seen a number of different cable modems over the years and they are not all created equal by any means. I've seen some that will no get the same throughput or keep steady throughput like others. I've seen some that when under a load will shut down and reset. Just to test this out, I've taken my cable modem to another person's house (same service in the same area obviously) and hooked mine up. A decent Motorola Surfboard cable modem has managed to deal with higher speeds while providing steadier throughput with no overheating or dropped connections.

Every person I know who has cable in my area who has contacted me about problems with their cable all turned out to have something other than Motorola. I told them to have the cable company replace it with a Motorola or buy their own. The problems, outside of service outages, all seemed to go away with the replacement of the other modem.

seems like that would have been a pita to take modem to someones house, remove their modem from their account and provision yours for their account only to undo it all and go home and re-provision it for your account again.

but in anycase, I've had 3 modems since i've had comcast, an older RCA which had issues with the power connections, thent he Motorola SB modem, no i have the motorola voip modem from comcast.

seems like that would have been a pita to take modem to someones house, remove their modem from their account and provision yours for their account only to undo it all and go home and re-provision it for your account again.

but in anycase, I've had 3 modems since i've had comcast, an older RCA which had issues with the power connections, thent he Motorola SB modem, no i have the motorola voip modem from comcast.

It was the same ISP from the same cable provider in the same town. All I did was disconnect their modem and hook mine up. All I had to do was wait about 10 seconds for the connection to be established.

Back