Cable modems that support DOCSIS 3.0?

Cox has finally offer their ultimate plane that is 50mb down and 5mb up and it uses the new DOCSIS 3. My cable modem (linksys BEFCMU10 v3) does not support this new technology and I can't find any linksys or other brands on the internet stores like newegg that offer DOCSIS 3. I know this new version supports speeds greater then 48mb/s down and up to 100mb or so.

Does any one know which cable modem supports it?
I won't be getting this plane soon since it cost over 100 bucks and I have no need of this kind of speed any time soon but who knows? I wish they uncap their upload speeds so I can run better gaming server and less latency. Right now my up speed is 1.5mb

∞Velocitymaster∞;1034069905 said:
Cox has finally offer their ultimate plane that is 50mb down and 5mb up and it uses the new DOCSIS 3. My cable modem (linksys BEFCMU10 v3) does not support this new technology and I can't find any linksys or other brands on the internet stores like newegg that offer DOCSIS 3. I know this new version supports speeds greater then 48mb/s down and up to 100mb or so.

I won't be getting this plane soon since it cost over 100 bucks and I have no need of this kind of speed any time soon but who knows? I wish they uncap their upload speeds so I can run better gaming server and less latency. Right now my up speed is 1.5mb
Actually, the standard is upwards of ~170Mpbs depending on the channel bonding with speeds up to ~350Mbps. Sweet stuff
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail.jsp?globalObjectId=9320_9249_23&pageLocaleId=2026

Lucky bastard. I wish Time Warner/Road Runner would upgrade their network to DOCSIS 3.0 :mad:

∞Velocitymaster∞;1034069905 said:

Motorola retired their best Docsis 2 modem, the 5120, with the newer Docsis 3 modem...the 6120. You'll slowly be able to find it via more and more various distributor resources as time goes by.

Most areas with Cox now have their own Cox retail store. You can pick up a new modem there.

They just sent me a voucher to get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem for $25.

My distributor shows they have quite a few of the SB6120s on hand, so they are available. They aren't real cheap compared to the previous models, but they're out there.

Motorola retired their best Docsis 2 modem, the 5120, with the newer Docsis 3 modem...the 6120. You'll slowly be able to find it via more and more various distributor resources as time goes by.

It was actually replaced by the 5101, both which are very reliable modems.

The 6120 is available off of the best buy website, but from what i've seen, cox will NOT provision a retail purchased DOCSIS 3.0 modem in a non-DOCSIS 3.0 market. Though i've read that other providers have.

Unfortunately due to lack of competition here in wichita, only alternative being u-verse and even then it's not that widely available, only really in the west side of town for now, I don't see DOCSIS 3.0 coming here for a good while. I'm happy with my premier though, 15/2 but regularly getting permaboost to b/w 18-25 down and 3-5 up.

It was actually replaced by the 5101, both which are very reliable modems.

I don't recall that being a "replacement"...just another model out at same time..if not a hair before...I have 2 or 3 of those models...older in my mind, that I keep as spares. I was pretty sure it was in order....
5101, 5100, 5120, and the SWG900 wireless model.

Last edited:
With Cox being mentioned, I did some poking around on the Motorola 6120 and found:

"I'm sure this is a very good product, but neither Motorola or Cox Phoenix are willing to help actually use the product, so unfortunately this review cannot be better.

The Issue - This modem is not supported by Cox (Phoenix Metro) as they do not believe it has even been launched yet. Having gone through several departments at Cox they were unable to initialize the modem for use with their service, as the modem is not on the master list in their system.

Motorola are unwilling to contact Cox in order to assist resolve the issue, so I am going to be forced to return this one to the store (Not Amazon) from which it was purchased.

Good luck with this and your service provider. "

Quoted from Amazon, dated April 9. I'd call Cox and confirm there aren't any issues if you decide to go with the 6120.

Back