Cable modems... locked out?

Team Obi Juan

Your Local Postmaster
I was getting ready to buy a cable modem off of scam-bay but then my roommate started saying shit that it wouldn't work if the people who owned it didn't pay their last bill...?

He said that they're not universal...

Is this right? Seems retarded to me...

let me know.

The MAC address of most cable modems are locked to that particular provider. So if you have the same service as the previous owner, you are screwed until they clean out their system (Which they usually don't for years because they hope the customer will reactivate their service)

-->OR<-- You call them up and attach that cable modem's MAC to your account. With all the Cable providers around you won't necessarilly get a modem that has been on your own cable providers network.

As an alternative call up your local provider and ask what you can outright buy a cable modem from them for? For example, I can walk right in the front door of my Cable ISP and buy a modem from them for $38 and change. That's about 1/2 of what it'd cost from BB/CC assuming you already have an account. Some Cable ISP's I've heard will even warranty the modem if you buy it from them also. Check out this option before you risk Fleabay.

Nate7311 said:
-->OR<-- You call them up and attach that cable modem's MAC to your account.

Yup that's all you usually have to do..call up your cable ISP..and have them "provision" the modem you just bought. I've done that countless times....takes but a few minutes on the phone with them...assuming the cable has been activated to the house...plug in the modem, read them your modems MAC over the phone..he picks it up on his end...shoves down the config file to it...your reboot the modem...BAM..online, hookup your router, and you're in business.

Yeah, just call up your ISP and say hey I got a new modem here's the mac
Should take them a minute or two and you will be golden

YeOldeStonecat said:
Yup that's all you usually have to do..call up your cable ISP..and have them "provision" the modem you just bought. I've done that countless times....takes but a few minutes on the phone with them...assuming the cable has been activated to the house...plug in the modem, read them your modems MAC over the phone..he picks it up on his end...shoves down the config file to it...your reboot the modem...BAM..online, hookup your router, and you're in business.

QFT. You do not need to worry about buying your own model - retail or off of ebay. The modem will not, in most cases, work until you call them anyway. The rest of the process was already covered by YeOldeStonecat; you call them up, tell them you have a new modem and provide the MAC address. They do some stuff on their end and you should be up and running.

The only thing that might 'prevent' you from using a cable modem purchased from Ebay is if your cable provider doesn't use a standard protocol. You could also see intermittent disconnects if the modem you purchase is not at least DOCSIS 2.0 compliant, which most are. Just don't buy something really old and you'll be fine.

Orinthical said:
The only thing that might 'prevent' you from using a cable modem purchased from Ebay is if your cable provider doesn't use a standard protocol. You could also see intermittent disconnects if the modem you purchase is not at least DOCSIS 2.0 compliant, which most are. Just don't buy something really old and you'll be fine.
That’s a good point. Don’t just buy any old low-priced modem from FleaBay. Make sure the one you buy is APROVED for USE by your cable service provider, or you will just be wasting money. Check out your ISP’s website for the approved list. Then follow the instructions from the posts above and you should be good. :cool:

Back