cable modem with router? why don't these ever work???

lappyhappy

Weaksauce
why does internet never work when you're using a router? i'm on comcast and i've used linksys wireless routers for years. but the one problem is they are always intermittent. seems like it's getting worse as time goes by. internet works fine when the router is not part of the equation. and when you call for support, they always say "make sure you're not using a router." isn't the router supposed to work??? i have to reset it like every half hour. what's the point of that? and i know it's not this particular one because this is the 2nd or 3rd one i've owned, they ALL have this problem.

your experiences or suggestions?

Actually, as soon as I clone the MAC address of the main machine up to the router, and then register that... I have no more problems. Got one I installed for a buddy about 9 months ago, router hasn't been restarted since.

i had the prob with my linksys, i changed the ip, it crapped all up, so hit the reset button, the go to start ... run... ip release, ip renew it might be release_all, renew_all

My suggestion = use a different brand.

If I'd been having this problem for years i'd have changed by now

I have both an SMC and Netgear router and they both work perfectly, in fact go months without a need for reset. Try a diff. brand.

dariob said:
I have both an SMC and Netgear router and they both work perfectly, in fact go months without a need for reset. Try a diff. brand.

Same here. I use an SMC Barricade router\firewall and I've never had to reset it. I use cable too.

Maybe brand is the problem. Is there a possibility of it not being compatible with his ISP?

Drucifer said:
Actually, as soon as I clone the MAC address of the main machine up to the router, and then register that... I have no more problems. Got one I installed for a buddy about 9 months ago, router hasn't been restarted since.

how does one do this?

Linksys used to suck big time. They're owned by Cisco now, and their products say so right on the box. Cisco has a reputation to protect, and Linksys products are a lot better than old.

If it's an older Linksys, follow the advice here and garage sale it. If it's a newer one, I'd be surprised to hear it's the router's fault.

I have Comcast and have used a d-link 704p for the past 5 years without a problem

GooG said:
i had the prob with my linksys, i changed the ip, it crapped all up, so hit the reset button, the go to start ... run... ip release, ip renew it might be release_all, renew_all

not letting me do this at the run prompt or the command prompt. maybe cuz right now i'm just plugged straight into the modem and no router?(because whenever i'm in the router the connection goes down)

Having the same problem with a Linksys wireless B router on a Comcast cable connection, though it wasnt as serious as your problem. Mines is fine for a long stretch, probably a couple weeks or so, but then it slows down horribly and certain applications can't even get online and only a few websites work. I have to do a power cycle every so often for a couple days before it calms down again and everything is back to normal.

Drucifer said:

Why don't you just say you are moving the modem and call in the MAC address of the router. That is the easiest way

Comcast allows routers guys...you dont need to bs them or anything. The cable modem is bound to a single MAC address, you just need to call up comcast and tell them you need to register a different mac address and they will send you to a url to do just that (or they can do it over the phone for you)

What Comcast doesnt do is give support for them...which is why they ask that the computer be directly connected to the computer to bypass any possible router problems.

Keep in mind some wireless devices do tend to be a bit flaky and need a reset now and then...much of the time though this can be resolved be a firmware flash on the router itself.

Devin said:
Comcast allows routers guys...you dont need to bs them or anything. The cable modem is bound to a single MAC address, you just need to call up comcast and tell them you need to register a different mac address and they will send you to a url to do just that (or they can do it over the phone for you)

I dont know if this is necessarily true. I just set up Comcast Cable for the 3rd time. Registered on my PC, then hooked up my router and I was off and going. I have never had to clone the MAC on my router or have comcast change anything.

Devin said:
What Comcast doesnt do is give support for them...which is why they ask that the computer be directly connected to the computer to bypass any possible router problems.

Right, although back several years ago Comcast's TOS used to prohibit routers. We used one anyway, what the heck is it to them? Verizon DSL even had part of a marketing campaign pounding on that aspect.

Devin said:

Keep in mind some wireless devices do tend to be a bit flaky and need a reset now and then...much of the time though this can be resolved be a firmware flash on the router itself.

ok cool. how do i know what mac address to register?

lappyhappy said:
ok cool. how do i know what mac address to register?

Your router has a MAC address, you want to use that one. Its pretty simple, just call them up and tell the service tech that you want to change the MAC address ont the account read off the MAC address on your router and bam its done.

UltimaParadox said:
Your router has a MAC address, you want to use that one. Its pretty simple, just call them up and tell the service tech that you want to change the MAC address ont the account read off the MAC address on your router and bam its done.

i called comcast and said "hi i need to change the mac address affiliated with my account." they guy was like "whoa whoa... why do you want to do that?" i said "because i'm using a router and i need to give you the router's mac address" and he said they don't do that, and it won't change anything, the cable modem will recognize anything it talks to, blah blah blah. Then he said "have you tried reseting your modem? it's probably an issue with your router, you'll need to contact the manufacturer." typical BS....

Should I call back and hope to get another guy? or any other ideas?

UltimaParadox said:
Why don't you just say you are moving the modem and call in the MAC address of the router. That is the easiest way
Easier than changing the MAC? I don't know about you, but it takes a good 15 minutes at least to get a tech on the phone for me with Comcast. Changing the MAC takes all of 1 minute.

Regardless, on most modems you simply reset it and it binds to the first MAC it sees.

XOR != OR said:
Easier than changing the MAC? I don't know about you, but it takes a good 15 minutes at least to get a tech on the phone for me with Comcast. Changing the MAC takes all of 1 minute.

Regardless, on most modems you simply reset it and it binds to the first MAC it sees.

yea that's the problem - the damn comcast rep won't change the mac address on the account? wtf??? are they supposed to do that if i ask?

XOR != OR said:

also - wireless was "ok" for a while, but it totally bombs when my 2nd computer gets on wireless

lappyhappy said:
yea that's the problem - the damn comcast rep won't change the mac address on the account? wtf??? are they supposed to do that if i ask?

Yeah they should, unless they are counting on what XOR != OR told you about the modem binding to the first MAC address it sees

OK well comcast was pretty much good for nothing. Thanks for the advice though. It sure would have been a lot easier if they'd have just changed my mac address if it'd work

What i did was logged into the router, clicked on "clone mac address." then entered the physical address of my computer (start, run, cmd, ipconfig/all)

wireless is working, for the moment *crosses fingers

Back