Cable modem with phone?

GhengisKhan

Supreme [H]ardness
Lately my in-laws have been having problems with their cable modem, and TWC-Spectrum has been out and have changed out their modem every few months. I have checked the stability of the power that it's plugged into. The cable company has checked the lines into their house multiple times. And they had a rep from TWC/S tell them that they've had a lot of problems with this type of modem, but it's the only kind they have that includes phone service. The modem is a Ubee, but I can't find a model number on the sticker on the back, other than something that says H/W Version: 3.26.1
I have searched the forum and come up empty for ones that include phone service. If it was up to me, the home phone would go away, but they insist they have a landline. No matter how many times I've tried to explain to them that if the power goes out they won't still have a phone like the old landlines used to since it goes through the modem.
[H]elp me!

Oh yeah. No WiFi since I upgraded their 15 year old router that didn't have WiFi, to a Netgear R7000 running the latest version of Tomato, so I can not be forced to use my data so much.

Is there a version of that without the WiFi, or do you know if it can be turned off? They would get confused easily if there's another wifi network. Hell, there's only theirs and the neighbors and they still ask me every once in a while which one it is. Even though the SSID is their last name...

Yeah, just turn off wifi, although it should have comparable performance to the R7000 anyway. From the marketing material it's certified for Comcast so you might want to contact TWC to make sure it'll work before you purchase.

Just get a standalone modem for the internet and use the one they supply only for the phone.
That is what we did with Cox recently when we were having phone issues. We originally had the older style digital phone system with a box on the side of the house but they are phasing that out and using all in one modems.
I told the tech that I didn't want to use their all in one for the internet since I have a brand new Arris unit so they installed the new modem with only the phone service on it.

Or have them switch to a service like Vonage and then you just need to use their adaptor.
Only if you hate them and want them to suffer horribly. Vonage blows.

We also had a landline through TWC/Spectrum and I finally gave it up for Ooma. $100 for the device, $40 to port the old number, and if the basic service is good enough for you, your monthly bill will be only the taxes associated with the line and nothing else (here, that amounts to about $4 a month). Switching over was a piece of cake, and the voice quality is much better than TWC could ever manage. I did have to add a little network switch, since the Ooma device was installed a long way from the router and next to the old folks desktop system, but no big deal.

I think the 'Premiere' Ooma service is like $9.99 a month for the first year, and $19.99 a month after that. Not worth it in my case, but they may think differently.
Ooma Basic vs Ooma Premier

Anyone using VOIP needs to have battery backup for cable modem, router (if applicable), and the Ooma device (and the landline phones if they have cordless ones), or at the very least, a cheap cell phone for emergencies if power is lost (a Tracfone or some such will do in a pinch).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Plus one for Ooma - I've had it for 3 years and have been quite happy with it.

Prior to that, I did have the cable company's phone offering at the last house and did not have issues with it. I also had two different modems - an Arris unit provided by them for the phone and I used my own cable modem to handle the data connection - logically, they will charge you a modem rental fee if you get your internets through the same modem as the phone :-\.

Only if you hate them and want them to suffer horribly. Vonage blows.

Which is why I said a service like Vonage.

That being said, I've been using Vonage for 12+ years at this point and I've taken my adaptor all over the US and Europe and have my office phone available to me. Depends on your needs and what service you choose to use. Only thing that I don't like is there is no way to edit your time zone, you have to call them to get them to update it so your phone displays the currently local time. I can get local phone numbers in countries added as needed and remove them when I don't need them anymore and International calling is free to a ton countries. Simultaneous ring on my cell phones is great, as is the mobile app and easy access to voice messages. Works well for my needs.

Back