Cable modem upgrade?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I don't seem to be getting the speed improvements that everyone else on Comcast is getting.

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB4220. Do I need to upgrade it?

Yes...time to upgrade. I had the same modem. When it died, I replaced it with the Motorola Surfboard SB5120. I noticed a big difference. I also noticed more of a difference when I switched from my Linksys router to a Linux router. Luckily for me, my service provider sold me the new Surfboard for $39.99. I think retail on them was in the $50-$75 range. I know that Wal-Mart has them for $54.95. Just giving you some ideas.

SB4220 is good for over 30 Mbit, so it's not likely to hamper any speed your supposed to get. What kind of speeds are you getting and how are you testing it? I have a SB5120 now, but the SB4200 I had before had no issues with a 5 Mbit connection.

Over at DSL reports. My download speed is around average (on a good day), but my upload speed is usually pretty crappy.

Code:
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-04-22 10:34:21 EST:
4807 / 238
Your download speed : 4807 kbps or 600.9 KB/sec.
That is 5.8% worse than an average user on comcast.net

Your upload speed : 238 kbps or 29.8 KB/sec.
That is 41% worse than an average user on comcast.net

I'd believe you, (V)andopr77 -- but why must it be upgraded? According to the specs, both the SB4220 and the SB5120 support DOCSIS 2.0. Is there a newer version? Some hardware limit?

I take it your talking about the Upload threw-put being much lower then average? Have you talked with the cable company to see if it could be a problem with the cable running to your home, or if they haven't made the change/upgrade in your area yet? Another possibility is maybe the cable modem is having internal issues and is the limiting factor? I don't know of any thing to test that myself though.

Crap. Maybe it's my firewall. If I bypass it and leave my single machine in,

Code:
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-04-22 10:54:31 EST:
5975 / 353
Your download speed : 5975 kbps or 746.9 KB/sec.
That is 16.9% better than an average user on comcast.net

Your upload speed : 353 kbps or 44.1 KB/sec.
That is 12.6% worse than an average user on comcast.net

that also bypasses my switch, so maybe that's the problem. Bummer.

The Signal page on the modem reports this (pity we're not using advanced forum software, so I could post a table):

Code:
Downstream  Value 
Frequency 711000000 Hz Locked    
Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB  
QAM 256 
Network Access Control Object ON 
Power Level 3 dBmV

Upstream  Value 
Channel ID 3 
Frequency 23000000 Hz Ranged  
Ranging Service ID 5666 
Symbol Rate 3.200 Msym/s 
Power Level 54 dBmV

Calling the cable company is an option, I guess, Xipher. But their support folks haven't been exactly technical, in my experience.

Woops, that's something I forgot to mention (try without any other equipment between your machine and the cable modem). What switch are you using though, as I normally wouldn't expect one to cause or contribute to a problem like this.

You have the 6 meg package, right? If so, you're numbers are spot on.....
I'm 6200/340. Using a 5120.....after using our Speedguide TCP Optimizer.

You can probably squeeze up around 6100/6200 using an optimizer..but else...if you plug right in sans some software firewall and get those numbers...your modem, and line to the house, are fine. (assuming you have the basic 6 meg package, not the 8 meg)

I am guessing the second set, the ones you got after taking the router and switch out of the path. Also have you tried using a different port on the switch (if any are available)? Also did you use the same cable when you connected directly to the cable modem? If not have you tried a different cable between the workstation and the switch?

YeOldeStonecat said:
5975 / 353 The ones you tested without whatever software firewall you're using.
I'm not using a software firewall. I'm using a hardware firewall.

mikeblas said:
I'm not using a software firewall. I'm using a hardware firewall.

NAT router? What make/model? Some of the older ones don't have the horsepower for todays faster network connections. Might also want to make sure the router has recent firmware, and has its MTU set correctly, 1500 for cable.

Watchguard Soho 5tc. I think the model is "WG2500".

Back