Cable modem/Router recommendation

iTravis

Limp Gawd
I'll be moving into a new apartment and have Cox as ISP so I need you guys' advice for a cable modem/router. I heard the all-in-one is usually not recommended so I think I might get them separately.
My setup will be 4 hardwired devices (2 PCs, 2 consoles), I also have a laptop and a couple tablets that need Wifi even though I don't use them often, and obviously a smartphone so I can switch to use Wifi at home.
Do you have any recommendation for such combo preferably in the $150 range? I don't need anything crazy or extreme, just a solid connection with great protection and that's about it. Kinda need them ASAP so I would prefer a link to local store like Fry's, BB..
Thanks in advance!

Mikrotik offers a more complete single (SOHO-like) solution than Ubiquiti. With the Edge Router Lite, you still have to buy a switch and access point, which alone will put you near $200. With the Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD, it will cost only $80 (if you don't need gigabit, the RB951Ui-2HnD is $60). Sure the ERL is faster, but most likely overkill for your need. The Mikrotik is one helluva box.

As for modem, go with the tried and true Motorola SurfBoard 6121 or the newer 6141. That and the Mikrotik should be just under $150.

ktr has a point with the price, mikrotik has a well suited bag. You can also run Mikrotik as a virtual appliance if you aren't used to it.

I'd still never give up my edgerouter and toughswitches ... of course that's hindsight but i can't tell you how smoothly the mundane thing became after upgrading. I'm not knocking mtik in anyway as i think they have a superior product all-in-one, but again, I service ~300 people a day from a fiber tap over 25 miles of backhaul PTPs and PTmPs over 10 subnets ...

mtik has a learning curve, but ubiquiti costs a bit more for once. Either way both are still extremely favored companies than you can't beat for the dollar right now.

Grab a TP-Link TL-WDR3600, it'll do fine and if you want to play around you have very good OpenWRT support.
//Danne

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'm gonna go with the Motorola SurfBoard 6141 for the modem. As for the router, a bit more research shows great reviews on the Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD but can I get this router at a local store, looks to me they only sell it online. I need to grab something quick to proceed with the installation so besides the TP-Link TL-WDR3600, can you suggest a few more routers?

Saw this thread, but few cable modem recommendations as I was hoping to find my answer. I said screw it and pulled the trigger on the SB6121 since it has a rock solid reputation and we've seen a few incidents with the SB6141, but that's just my preference you should be fine. With talks of Comcast doubling speeds yet again I now have to retire my modem and hell now I'll soon save $4-7 bucks a month, or whatever Comcast is charging now.

I'm personally a big fan of the Asus N66U line. Rock solid and flashable to other firmwares if you want to ever dick around.

You can get the Mikrotik, it's a bit more advanced interface but you can accomplish pretty much the same things using OpenWRT although OpenWRT is easier to keep up to date. The Mikrotik doesn't do 5Ghz in case you want that as far as I can tell, the 2.4Ghz space can be very crowded. Atheros based routers are by far the best ones if you want to run 3rd party firmwares.

You can have a look at OpenWRTs wiki for supported models, in general Netgear and TP-Link have the best support and offers newest hardware.
//Danne

Once you update the Mikrotik to the latest RouterOS 6.7 and reset configurations with default settings, it will preconfigure itself to a typical SOHO wireless router.

Once you update the Mikrotik to the latest RouterOS 6.7 and reset configurations with default settings, it will preconfigure itself to a typical SOHO wireless router.
Are the RouterOS updates free? Or do I have to buy a new license each time I want to update it?

I was looking at the Mikrotik router you recommended on the previous page and saw the pricing for the RouterOS licenses. I know the router has its own license but updating is another question-- I don't know if that's free or not.

Routerboards come with a certain RouterOS license. For example, the RB951 series comes with a L4 license, therefore you can update it, free of charge, up to RouterOS v7.x. The RB2011 series comes with a L5, therefore you can update it, free of charge, up to RouterOS v8.x. RouterOS is currently on v.6.9 (coming out today). It will be some time before we hit the end of v7. By that time, faster and better Routerboards will be out. Cheap as they are...out with the old, new with the new.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone, I'll head to my local Fry's to grab the Motorola 6121 and the TP-Link TL-WDR3600, really appreciate for all your help. :)

The TP-Link TL-WDR3600 with Gargoyle is a pretty good combo. You have the robust OpenWRT with a friendly user interface.

Routerboards come with a certain RouterOS license. For example, the RB951 series comes with a L4 license, therefore you can update it, free of charge, up to RouterOS v7.x. The RB2011 series comes with a L5, therefore you can update it, free of charge, up to RouterOS v8.x. RouterOS is currently on v.6.9 (coming out today). It will be some time before we hit the end of v7. By that time, faster and better Routerboards will be out. Cheap as they are...out with the old, new with the new.
Ah, ok, I'm definitely leaning more towards the router you recommended.

It will take some time learning the configuration, but I'll be able to figure it out. I have knowledge on configuring non-consumer routers.

If you want to be future-proof, get the SB6141 instead of the SB6121 for the 8 downstream channels instead of 4.

Apparently you want SB6182 or SB6183 (seems to be a white version of the same modem), seems like you need to scout for one though...
//Danne

Last edited:
My downstream is limited to 25Mbps by Cox so I don't think it will make any difference anyway. So I just grabbed the SB6121 and since my local store doesn't have the N600 I just went with the TP-Link Ac1750.

Just so you know, the AC1750 is supported by 3rd party firmwares (such as OpenWRT) but the WIFI chip is apparently really buggy so support has been dropped in Linux (the open source driver) so no WIFI going that route.
//Danne

Back