Cable Modem Question/Reccomendation

I'm getting Comcast cable in my new place, and I was wondering. Is there any reason to buy my own cable modem? Or just use whatever they send me. I was looking at some info about the Linksys cable modem and I didn't see anything that was configurable or anything really that says to me that it would be better than one that comcast would send me.

I also see a D-link, surfboard and bestdata, any of those more worthy than whatever cc would send me?

tia.

From my experience, the Motorola 5100 Surboard is the best you can buy. Iv'e heard nightmares about Linksys cable modems.

BuudWeizErr said:
I'm getting Comcast cable in my new place, and I was wondering. Is there any reason to buy my own cable modem? Or just use whatever they send me. I was looking at some info about the Linksys cable modem and I didn't see anything that was configurable or anything really that says to me that it would be better than one that comcast would send me.

I also see a D-link, surfboard and bestdata, any of those more worthy than whatever cc would send me?

tia.

Surfboards are very good, I do not like the toshibas from past experience and don't trust linksys either. I have a Siemens that has worked very well, I like the looks of it too, got it for about $35 2 years ago, and took back my expensive surf board. (after having 3 toshibas die in a row.)

What makes them better than any of the other ones though? I mean, is there anything configurable? Like any sort of a web interface or anything? Or is it just they have better speed / reliability / QoS?

If you guys like the Surfboard 5100 so much, maybe I'll just get that one. Might as well support the company who writes my paychecks I guess.

reliability and speed, the newer modems are faster than the really old ones. Mostly reliability though, I hate resetting my modem! I'dratehr have my siemens though it's cool lookin and works just as good.

Back