cable modem no worky with *nix or router but works fine with windows

roberttran

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,
I can't seem to get my router or FreeBSD box to work with my new cable modem line. It works perfectly fine with my winxp laptop with DHCP on. When I try DHCP or manually set the info into my FreeBSD box or my Sonicwall router it doesnt work. The Sonicwall gives an error saying that it couldn't obtain a valid DHCP lease with or without DHCP enabled. With my FreeBSD box, when I use the /stand/sysinstall to set it DHCP on my network adapter, dhclient crashes.
Any ideas whats going on? Is comcast doing something to cause this?

Thanks,
Robert

i know with mediacom, if you switch devices (or network cards, etc), you have to put in a specific URL to some server of thiers and select the mac address of your new machine connected to the network, before you can connect to the internet. That caused me problems with my freebsd router at one time.

I have a Suse box and WinXP box off of a router being fed by the cable modem, also on Comcast- no issues at all. Have you called Comcast to make sure that the cable modem is going to play nice? Or, is it your own modem? They may swap it out if you ask for a different model- mine's a Terayon.

Originally posted by roberttran
Hey,
I can't seem to get my router or FreeBSD box to work with my new cable modem line. It works perfectly fine with my winxp laptop with DHCP on. When I try DHCP or manually set the info into my FreeBSD box or my Sonicwall router it doesnt work. The Sonicwall gives an error saying that it couldn't obtain a valid DHCP lease with or without DHCP enabled. With my FreeBSD box, when I use the /stand/sysinstall to set it DHCP on my network adapter, dhclient crashes.
Any ideas whats going on? Is comcast doing something to cause this?

Thanks,
Robert

Some cable modems require a power cycle after switching to a different computer...........

Originally posted by SJConsultant
Some cable modems require a power cycle after switching to a different computer...........

The reason being that they need to re-associate themselves with the new mac addy. Is is feasible/possible to pull the NIC from the windows box and slap it in the *nix box as a short term test?

Back