Cable modem hell

r_shortt

Limp Gawd
Alright I'm getting ticked off at my modem. In the last month its been dropping connections for no reason what so ever. At first I thought it was my router/firewall. I was using Clarkconnect as my router/firewall and after I took a look at my log files at one point every 5 minutes my external nic card would go down. So first thought "Hey I must have a bad nic card" Simple enough I replaced it. Same problem.. So I looked at my log files more closely this time. So every couple of minutes (at the height of my problems) It would obtain a fresh dhcp lease. Now I know they expire but at one point it was every 2 minutes. So I disable snort since I thought it was acting up. It helped a little bit. It was still dropping connections. So I re-enabled snort and since my IP address only changes once every couple of months (My isp does semi static ip's) I set it up with my current IP as static to test out. That made it happen less and less until they force fed me a new IP so back to DHCP.

Now a week ago I picked up a d-link 524 for cheap since I was going to add wireless to my network (and keep the ip ranges separate and lock down wireless) So that didn't end up happening. So Got pissed off at my linux box and used the d-link as the router. After adding all my portforwards to it I thougth I was done.

Today the internet stops working. I log into the router and find it has no wan IP. CRAP! So I hit renew the DCHP attempt TIMES OUT 3 times in a row. So I unplug the modem and let it sit. 5 minutes later plug it back in it times out again, then grabs a 192.168.100.x ip address wtf?? So a few releases and renews later I finally get an IP address that makes sense.

Now I have called my ISP before (they are known for their not so good tech support) Now because of this nonse with me grabing an IP so often the built in ICMP filter was applied to my modem so I can't ping or be pinged. They removed it (with no problems) since apparently it happens a lot to people using Bittorrent. I explain that my ip address has been dropping a lot lately and all I get from their side is "well you have good signal strength and it looks fine on our end"

So after one linux router, one old linksys router (to test with), and one new d-link router I seem to be having the same problem as when I started.

Any suggestions on how to convince tech support its not my side? I work tech support myself so I know when someone calls up to take what they say with a grain of salt.

Suggestions, comments or death threats :D

Tell them you'll call every day that it's not working and demand a credit for that day.

Back