• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Cable modem advice

Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
761
Well, I am finally fed up with Comcast's supplied Cable modems and I'm looking to buy my own. I need it to have wireless capabilities as well as 4 ports. ( I don't want to have to add a wireless router if at all possible) I want something stable that can handle a good bit of simultaneous use. Currently, I have 3 PCs hardwired, 1 desktop wireless, 2 laptops and 5 smart phones that are connected at various times thru the day. If anyone has some suggestions on a solid unit...please educate me. Budget is up to $150 give or take.
 
I know it's a bit out of your price range at $220, but this is probably the best combo device out there. It has a ton of features, including all the latest networking technology.
 
Modem/Router combos generally aren't all that great. They'll be fine for the average user, but if you use your Internet a lot then you'll want a good solid Modem + Router/Wireless AP Combo.

DotCapone, that link doesn't work.
 
I know it's a bit out of your price range at $220, but this is probably the best combo device out there. It has a ton of features, including all the latest networking technology.

Link doesn't work.

OP: Get a separate wireless router - it'll be cheaper and more reliable.
 
I agree with Skillz and 450 that you should get a cable modem and a separate wireless router. Many wireless routers are designed to handle the increased bandwidth loads from constant streaming and downloading large (multi-gigabyte) files. For the past two years, I've used the Motorola SB6121 and a refurbished Netgear WNDR3700.

If you insist on an all-in-one solution, I recommend the ARRIS/Motorola SURFboard SB6580. It supports DOCSIS 3.0, uses dual-band 802.11b/g/n, and has four Gigabit Ethernet ports.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Usual recommendation is to buy cable modem separate from router since the all-in-ones are usually crappy and/or restrictive and when you upgrade the router/WIFI side you don't have to repurchase the modem.

Double-check against your cable modem service compatibility list but the Zoom 5341J is readily available for $70 at local Best Buy, supports DOCSIS 3.0 for both high and lower speed tiers and has been 100% reliable. Has even resolved Motorola cable modem reliability issues per the feedback comments.
 
Last edited:
i use a Motorola SURFBoard 6141 and its been great. I wouldn't recommend using an all in one option.
 
Back
Top