cable management question

agrikk

Gawd
My company is moving into a new colo and I'm designing the cabinet layout.

In that vein, I'm trying to find a cable management device that will allow me to organize cables passing from the back of a 4-post cabinet to the front.

TOP VIEW:
cabledesign_001.PNG

I know that it would be easier to put the switches facing backwards so that the cables exit the servers and enter the switches on the same side, but aesthetically I think it looks better having the switches on the same side as the servers.

But this leaves me with a side of the cabinet row with lots of cat-5 potentially hanging loose in a zip-tied bundle and that won't do.

Any suggestions?

yeah, orient the devices according to their airflow needs, not what looks "pretty"

Inside of cabinets....there's usually spaces and gaps between the frame, and the sheet metal case of the cabinet, to help you pass through your cables and keep them aside, out of the way, mostly hidden.

Sometimes racks (such as black box) have cable channels that are on top of the racks. Really depends on the datacenter's gear

yeah, orient the devices according to their airflow needs, not what looks "pretty"

Thanks for that hot tip there, cowboy. Let's just assume for a second that this design takes into account airflow needs. And let's also assume that a rack layout can be efficient and pretty at the same time. Now with that in mind, care to answer my original post again?

Sometimes racks (such as black box) have cable channels that are on top of the racks. Really depends on the datacenter's gear

The racks provided by the datacenter don't have cable channels. They have ladders across the tops, but I'd rather not route cables up to the ladder and back down again, since the ladders are up top over the cabinets and not within easy reach. I'm looking for an aftermarket product that mounts in the cabinet itself from front to back.

Back