Cable Management Devices

l008com

Limp Gawd
I'm wiring up my new house with lots of ethernet and some coax and hdmi. I found really cheap "j" hooks, made for PVC pipes, which work excellently for creating dirt cheap channels on unfinished ceilings.

My full map: Port Map
The hooks (top): Dirt Cheap Data Channel

That part of the plan seems to be working very well. The problem I'm having is more the small-scale organizing of wires on both sides of my wall mount board. I hung a sheet of plywood in place of sheetrock on one whole wall of a closet (aka the server room), and I didn't hang anything on the other side yet. So what I have is a fully open board that I have access to both sides of:
Outside (Face)
Inside (Inside the wall)

Eventually there's going to be a ton of wires on the inside and outside, and I'd like to organize them as much as possible. Plus the organization will help in the future when I have to run additional wires once the wall is together, since those will have to be fished up the wall. So I need some kinds of clips or hooks or *somethings* that I can firmly, permanently attach to wooden surfaces, but whose attachments to the cables themselves are easily undone.

I've had this same problem in the past, setting up similar wall-mounted networking equipment in customer's offices. There's never a good way to route cables around the boards. Only permanent things like zip-ties with nail holes in them. But nothing that's a clip you can repeatedly open and close so you can constantly modify it.

There seems to be lots of adhesive ones (which won't work long term on wood surfaces) or screw-down vynil ones that are far too permanent for what I'm trying to accomplish. In the past, I've used these, and manually drilled holes in each one so I could screw them to a wooden surface instead of using the adhesive on them. It did kind of work but I'm hoping to find an easier solution that's ready-made?

Last edited:
Wow the editor absolutely butchered my post. My links are broken, whole chunks of my post are gone... what the hell?

Update: ok I think i re-wrote everything I that got deleted, and fixed all the links, so the original post should make sense and be complete.

Last edited:
Are you talking about inside the wall, or outside the wall? I will caution you from personal experience against doing anything even semi-permanent inside walls you will not have easy access to. If you ever have to pull and replace any of those cables, you will be cursing your secure and tidy in-the-wall cable management.

For outside the wall, I'd just use a patch panel and velcro ties.

I found exactly what I need, they're called bridle rings with wood screw threading! I know I'll never be able to run future wires through them, but I can run my current wires through them so things won't be a total mess, and I can use them on the outside of the board too depending on what htat layout looks like. And if I ever need to remove any of these wires, they should pull through the rings just as easy as they pull through the holes in the floor.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes Bridal rings are standard affair for running any kind of low voltage wiring. They also make them with standard 1/4" threads so you can purchase "beam clamps" which allow you to mount them to any type of metal framing.

Another good solution is J hooks. You have the simple PVC style of those, but there are metal versions of them that are attached to a bar so you can mount sets of them onto a wall. Bridal rings are better for overhead and J hooks are better for walls.

You just need a Cooper Catalog and that should get you started on all of the stuff you can spend money on lol.

This is a 3 J hook bar:

BCH32-3S

Here are nicer bridal rings with saddles if you have larger runs. They are much easier to aim for when trying to run new cable.

BRS-32A

Cooper B-Line catalogs

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ata_equipment/commdata_supports/Fasteners.pdf

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...g/spring_steel_fasteners_NA/Communication.pdf

Yeah bridle rings are just what i need for vertical group runs. I'm going to get a bunch and it should be very easy. My local hardware store has a very large hardware section, I'm going to see if they have any first.

Back