Cable Label Printer

USF-Nealio

Limp Gawd
I've been tasked to label the patch cords in our server room, and I hate the janky way of doing it. So I'm looking for cheap label/heat shrink printer. Specifically, I'm looking for the kinda that makes a label around the cable and won't catch on one another.

Brother PT-18RKT

it does cable wrap labels (like you want) and has rechargable batteries.

The PC based software is ok, but I mostly just use it handheld

I highly recommend a rugged version.

This is what I used in the past and so does the government. They are freaking awesome!

And so pro!

edit* forgot to add link haha...

there are other brands and types but this is just to give you an idea. I cant remember what type I used last time. It was the government that provided them but they were so infinitely professional looking, You basically print them with a laserprinter and then wrap the cord with them.

http://www.cablelabelsheets.com/

Any experience with the Brady BMP21, Brady I.D. Pro Plus, or the K-Sun Bee3? I can pick up anyof those fairly cheap.

You really need to be looking at the type of label first, then choosing a label printer that will print on it. Most standard 'office' label tapes aren't suitable for cabling, as the label material tries to 'remember' their shape (ie. flat) and will often 'ping' off over time if the material memory overcomes the strength of the adhesive.

So you need a material that doesn't remember it's shape and is therefore suitable for curved surfaces, and preferably one with stronger adhesive. If you come back in a years time and all the labels are sat in a pile on the floor, instead of on the cables, then that wouldn't be good... So specifically look for a machine and labels suitable for cabling, not just any old labeller.

You also need to decide if you want to label them as vertical wraps (especially prone to pinging off with teh wrong type of label), flagged or maybe even heat shrinked. See halfway down this page for a few picture examples of what I mean:

Cable label examples

Somebody has already mentioned the Dymo RhinoPRO 6000 which is good for this type of labelling, and that can print on Vinyl and Nylon labels which are both suitable for curved surfaces such as cables, and have extra strong adhesive. They can also print the self laminating tapes (see picture examples above) and heat shrink tubing.

If you go with a brother makes sure to use the TZe-S (extra strong adhesive) tapes, not the standard TZe ones. Also, go for the PT-7600 industrial labeller, as like the rhino 6000 it is designed for this type of application so will have some useful features when it comes to cabling/patch panels.

Brady BMP21 for me, 3/8in cartridge for patch panels/outlet and a 3/4in for cables and patch cords.

Back