Cable/DSL Router and file sharing help

snaggletto

n00b
Hello,
I recently bought a cable/dsl router (4 port), and I have two PC's hooked to it sharing my cable internet connection. I'm wanting to set it up so that I can share files from both PC's and *maybe* a printer. I already have the router setup and both PC's internet working flawlessly.

I'm using XP Pro on both PC's. How do I got about getting the PC's to 'talk' to eachother?

Thanks for helping a networking newbie.

snaggletto said:
Hello,
I recently bought a cable/dsl router (4 port), and I have two PC's hooked to it sharing my cable internet connection. I'm wanting to set it up so that I can share files from both PC's and *maybe* a printer. I already have the router setup and both PC's internet working flawlessly.

I'm using XP Pro on both PC's. How do I got about getting the PC's to 'talk' to eachother?

Thanks for helping a networking newbie.

Its quiet easy, Under control panel run the network wizard setup
Make sure both pc's are under the same workgroup and turn on file sharing
Than any folder or file you want to share just right-click it and goto sharing/security and share it.
You can do the same with a printer. Once the workgroup is setup goto windows explorer and goto My Network places and everything will show up in there that you have shared. May take a minute or two, after than My Network Places will show up under start.
Enjoy :D
Oh when you share, give network users full access so you can copy files from the other pc without problems

I've never had any use for the network setup wizard. You can set up file sharing merely by choosing a folder to share, right clicking on it and choosing the file sharing tab. You can click on the link that says " I understand the security risks and want to setup filesharing without running the network setup wizard." Simple file sharing should be on by default so you won't have to mess with permissions. As per the previous post you can now access the computer witht he share through network places.

Back