Cable Companies to Offer $9.95 Broadband for Poor Homes

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new program offering broadband to the poor for under $10 a month could go a long way towards helping people find jobs. Microsoft is also helping with $250 computers to low-income families.

As part of a federal effort to get more U.S. homes connected to broadband, cable companies will offer Internet service for $9.95 per month to homes with children that are eligible for school lunches, starting next summer. The initiative, called "Connect-to-Compete," also includes Microsoft, which pledges to sell PCs with its Office suite for $250 to low-income families.

I'd imagine you'll have to wade through some red tape to qualify for this, no different from other government entitlement programs. But I can definitely see this as useful if they do it right. A computer and internet connection allows you to be competitive and in touch with the world and can broaden your search when finding work.

LinkedIn, even Facebook, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, emails from prospective employers - lots of opportunities you'd otherwise miss by not having a computer and internet connection.

*sigh*

God I hope that this

Federal regulators are announcing Wednesday that they've cobbled together a consortium of businesses and non-profit organizations to cut the number of U.S. homes that don't have broadband, now at one third, or about 35 million homes.

is the extent of government spending for it, you need someone to do paperwork fine... otherwise lets not hope that a 9.95 internet that costs $50-60 has cable companies getting a $40-50/month subsidy check from the government... aka tax payers. I mean as it stands you I can bet that they'll be able to write it off as a loss as far as taxes go.

*sigh*

God I hope that this

is the extent of government spending for it, you need someone to do paperwork fine... otherwise lets not hope that a 9.95 internet that costs $50-60 has cable companies getting a $40-50/month subsidy check from the government... aka tax payers. I mean as it stands you I can bet that they'll be able to write it off as a loss as far as taxes go.

You'll note it's all cable providers doing it, and not DSL providers. Think about that. Probably all the FCC had to do was say 'Offer this plan, or we'll bust up your monopoly and make you share the coax lines with other companies like DSL companies do.'

They have offered a cheap service like this for years, they just don't advertise it.

Most DSL providers already offer service for $14.95, at least for the first year, and AT&T specifically did $9.95 internet service for some areas for several years when they acquired Bellsouth, so for the most party they already did their part.

Nice to see Redemtech (micro center) get some press however.

Because going to your local public library is too difficult.

Because going to your local public library is too difficult.

They do. 19 million people in poverty use library computers, but over the past couple of years libraries have closed, or cut back hours. Kind of hard to look for a job or do a resume when you only have 30 minutes too...

that would help some of them play modern warfare 3 and pwn their gang member friends. You think they will use this for useful?

that would help some of them play modern warfare 3 and pwn their gang member friends. You think they will use this for useful?

I'm fairly certain Microsoft isn't giving away gaming rigs at $250.

Yeah, they WILL NOT have a dedicated gming video card, thats pretty obvious since the whole PC costs as much as a good GPU card :D

I have $14.95 DSL in my area from AT&T for their lowest tier, and I have paid comcast numerous times $19.99 a month for their 16Mbps service (over 1MB/a sec download) at $24 after tax. You have to call the comcast guys over and over, find the right one, and you can ALWAYS get $19.99 or $24.99 cable internet (normal cable internet, not fiber).

I personally can use this $9.95, but I bet its going to be SUPER slow and restricted. I don't see how I could not qualify.... I meet all low standards of living :D

EDIT: And hey< I read the article.. comcast ALREADY DOES the $9.99 internet!

Major key notes:
All major cable companies are standing behind the $9.95 offer, which will be valid for two years. The price doesn't include taxes, but the companies are pledging to charge nothing for installation or modem rental.

The minimum download speed will be 1 megabit per second, less than one tenth of average cable speeds. Brian Dietz, a spokesman for the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, said it will be up to the individual cable companies to decide what speeds they provide.

Comcast Corp., the largest cable company and the country's largest Internet service provider, is already offering broadband to $9.95 to low-income families, with a 1.5 megabit per second download speed. It offered to do that to get regulators to approve its acquisition of NBC Universal approved.

This is a good thing for America, very kick ass!

Good job Govt technology workers (for once? :eek: )

How to qualify for Comcast $9.95 internet:

To qualify for $9.95 a month Internet service and a low-cost computer, your household must meet all these criteria:

1. Be located where Comcast offers Internet service
  2. Have at least one child receiving free school lunches through the National School Lunch Program
  3. Have not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days
  4. Not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment

Let's hope the rest of the govt internet deals do not follow this.... or else I might need to make some babies soon, if not :D ;) hahaa

I'm fairly certain Microsoft isn't giving away gaming rigs at $250.

I can only go off my own personal experiences, living here in wonderful Baltimore City. Outside of the majority of known Section 8 houses I know of, brand new Lexus / BMW / Infinity / Mercedes. Surely living in such modest living arrangements they would be concerned with saving their monthly checks (whether unemployment or a real job) for a better situation ?

Anyways, without ranting further; pieces of shit will be pieces of shit. They have and will continue to abuse the system for cent possible, while doing nothing themselves to better their situation. These same people will put more effort into getting money from the govt than actually job hunting.

Why work for honest pay when you can get the same (or more) for sitting on your ass ?

I lost hope in these people when I watched (while waiting at a redlight) one guy sitting on his porch, eating a mcdonald's something, finished it, walked about midway across his yard, then forcefully threw the wrapper down on ground, turned around went back to sitting on his porch. 20ft away was a city trashcan, let alone the off-chance he might he one inside.

Just saying.

and being that it Govt Subsidized, there is no expectation of privacy so all their traffic and emails can be monitored for criminal activity. Shaneyney best stop adverting the nasty crotch on craigslist

Everyone loves to bag on poor folk. Yes there are a hell of a lot of freeloaders, but there are a damn sight more people who really need the help. The biggest issue is shitty "fathers" going around impregnating half the town then cutting out. It's hard to go to the library to use the computer and watch your kids at the same time; the same people bitching here that they should just use the library computer would then be bitching about the kids in the library.

welcomed to the good old USA where your better off at the top or bottom not the middle becues then you get screwed form the top and bottom for the rest of your life.

Let's hope the rest of the govt internet deals do not follow this.... or else I might need to make some babies soon, if not :D ;) hahaa

Having children is a requirement? WTF? Because one thing that poor people need more of , is children.

Everyone loves to bag on poor folk. Yes there are a hell of a lot of freeloaders, but there are a damn sight more people who really need the help. The biggest issue is shitty "fathers" going around impregnating half the town then cutting out. It's hard to go to the library to use the computer and watch your kids at the same time; the same people bitching here that they should just use the library computer would then be bitching about the kids in the library.

There is no such thing as an extenuating circumstance. If you are poor, it is because you hate Jesus and hate working. I think anyone who makes less than $40k a year should pay 100% in taxes. All poor people are freeloading scum.

Having children is a requirement? WTF? Because one thing that poor people need more of , is children.

Well, do you think people are going to go have a baby because they want cheap internet? Also, if the poor people stop having babies, our population will decline, because rich people aren't.

Well, do you think people are going to go have a baby because they want cheap internet? Also, if the poor people stop having babies, our population will decline, because rich people aren't.

1. yes, they will, they already have them to get a govt check
2. Is that a bad thing ?

Yes, they would. Just like some people have more children to abuse the welfare system. Also, there's nothing wrong with the population declining.

I'm pretty sure that today's IGP is good enough to run MW3.

The machines aren't new. Redemtech refurbishes computers and components. I'm more than willing to bet the machines are Dell GX280 vintage (P4 class) as there's literally millions of them around due to leases expiring a few years ago.

Yes, a declining population is bad for a number of reasons. I've never met anyone who would have a baby just to get a government check, where I come from, we work ;)

I don't get why it is always the father's fault when it boils down to some who ultimately could have said NO or demanded that the man use shrink wrap. It is nothing more than lack of responsibility on both parts EQUALLY. Ultimately, the woman is the one getting poked and should be the one to decide whether it happens or not.

If you live in a neighborhood like mine, you would also be bagging on poor folks as well as you quickly learn that there is a reason that poor folks stay poor generation after generation. How can you expect a kid to succeed when their parents are lazy POS who blame everyone and usually every republican before taking a look into the mirrors and realizing who was actually responsible for their condition.

I don't get why it is always the father's fault when it boils down to some who ultimately could have said NO or demanded that the man use shrink wrap. It is nothing more than lack of responsibility on both parts EQUALLY. Ultimately, the woman is the one getting poked and should be the one to decide whether it happens or not.

No form of birth control isn't 100%. And it's the fathers damn fault because he is the one not taking care of the child. Yes of course the women share in the blame, but at the end of the day if you as a man get a woman pregnant and then fail to live up to your responsibilities, you're a low down piece of garbage.

No form of birth control IS 100%. Dur. Although Wired had a really interesting topic on potential male birth control from some doctor in India...would love to see that get approved for out here, I'd be first in line!

Yes, a declining population is bad for a number of reasons. I've never met anyone who would have a baby just to get a government check, where I come from, we work ;)
Having another kid increases the benefit allowance. Near where I come from there are entire neighborhoods of 3rd generation welfare families. None ever worked. None ever will. Pump out five or six kids, sit back and let the money come to your door. No problem though because those kids and the free groceries will fit into their new Lexus SUV. :confused:

I know a single mother with 3 kids (from marriage!) and no child support who receives $800 in cash and $800 in food stamps per month in California, a high cost of living state. That's her sole income at the moment as she trys to look for work. There is no way they are living high off the hog and driving a Lexus; I would like to see real examples rather than the constant hyperbole about welfare queens wearing Gucci and driving a BMW. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And if they are, they're likely dealing drugs, which is all the more reason for legalisation, have them report the income and get off welfare. Not that they could make the same kind of money after legalisation.

Everyone loves to bag on poor folk. Yes there are a hell of a lot of freeloaders, but there are a damn sight more people who really need the help.
Your post makes a whole lot of sense and I agree with it.

Sometimes you got to help a few freeloaders to help people who are really in need.

It's human nature to want to succeed. It takes a very special (and rare) kind of idiot to be happy wallowing in filth and leeching off everyone else. Those people are the exception, not the rule.

Having another kid increases the benefit allowance. Near where I come from there are entire neighborhoods of 3rd generation welfare families. None ever worked. None ever will. Pump out five or six kids, sit back and let the money come to your door. No problem though because those kids and the free groceries will fit into their new Lexus SUV. :confused:

Yea, and where I grew up, most people were pretty poor. The majority of my graduating class went on to be successful. Most people I know, when they get into financial trouble, end up getting a second job.

I know there are turds leeching from the system, and the system itself needs a revamp, but there are a lot of poor people out there trying to get ahead. As far as $10 cable goes, Comcast already started doing that to convince the FCC not to scrutinize their aquisition too closely.

That said, I don't support this if it raises my costs, lowers my bandwidth/caps, or negatively affects me in anyway. I'm selfish like that.

Back