• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

C2D vs CD MacBook refurbs?

Bikebro

n00b
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
14
Would there be any noticeable difference in a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Macbook over the same speed Cure Duo? Refurb page has some new models and I want to jump on one.
 
last gen processor vs. new gen. or atleast for the Macbooks. They do not offer a "new" CD core MB/P anymore, thus making it a last gen product. And arent C2D's dual core?
 
I believe the Core 2 Duo's perform slightly better and consume less power than the CD. Either way, I love my CD MBP! Refurb is the way to go.
 
I said screw it and got a white macbook 2mhz core 2 duo refurb for $1,099. They have/had black core duo 2 mhz for $999.

I don't really need it but figure I can always sell it before 10.5 launches for almost the same price.
 
Core 2 Duo machines have 802.11n cards that can be enabled, dual layer superdrives (for the 2.0ghz models), double the stock ram of the Core Duo machines (for the 2.0ghz models), 64-bit processing, and about 20-30 minutes of more battery life.
 
I believe all Core 2 machines have the 802.11n ability as well, though you have to pay a couple bucks to enable n.

oops, didn't refresh before posting.
 
Get a core 2 duo, cause its like better and stuff. :p

I am also a believer in the idea of all C2D have 802.11n
 
Speaking of 802.11n, anybody know of any popular places or hotspots where I can test it out? :)
 
Maybe an apple store is running 802.11n?
Ask then to test it out. I am sure they will let ya.
 
last gen processor vs. new gen. or atleast for the Macbooks. They do not offer a "new" CD core MB/P anymore, thus making it a last gen product. And arent C2D's dual core?

They are dual core... as are first GEN CD.
 
In order to decide whether you'll need it or not, you need to analyze your actual CPU performance requirements. If you're just surfing on it, there's no way you'll notice a difference.
 
Nope, came from the refurb store like this. How's Lunch?

I've seen extra RAM, larger HDs, faster CPUs but never an upgraded optical drive in a MBP. Thats pretty cool.

So, Apple upgraded it for you. ;)
 
Nope, came from the refurb store like this. How's Lunch?

I don't know why you felt like proving everybody wrong with the special case of your luckily upgraded MBP... but this really doesn't pertain to the topic at hand; while cool you have a DL superdrive; it seemed kinda lame to take up a bunch of posts to slowly explain why yours is different...

back to the topic:

I've got a Core Duo MacBook which I've self upgraded the Airport card to be 802.11n; I've doubled the hard drive and quadrupled the RAM from how it all came stock.

I would get the Core 2 Duo machine though at the 2.0ghz for a MacBook refurb, or a Core Duo MBP as they run about the price of a new C2D standard MacBook.
 
Would there be any noticeable difference in a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Macbook over the same speed Cure Duo? Refurb page has some new models and I want to jump on one.

no1 mentioned this but the C2D is a 64-bit processor while the CD is a 32-bit processor. that may or may not be important to you. also the C2D is slightly faster and battery life is supposed to be slightly better.

it doesn't matter which one you get as they perform *nearly* the same.

personally i love my black CD macbook! :cool:
 
no1 mentioned this but the C2D is a 64-bit processor while the CD is a 32-bit processor. that may or may not be important to you. also the C2D is slightly faster and battery life is supposed to be slightly better.

it doesn't matter which one you get as they perform *nearly* the same.

personally i love my black CD macbook! :cool:

:rolleyes:

Core 2 Duo machines have 802.11n cards that can be enabled, dual layer superdrives (for the 2.0ghz models), double the stock ram of the Core Duo machines (for the 2.0ghz models), 64-bit processing, and about 20-30 minutes of more battery life.
 
Heero884 said:
no1 mentioned this but the C2D is a 64-bit processor while the CD is a 32-bit processor. that may or may not be important to you. also the C2D is slightly faster and battery life is supposed to be slightly better.

it doesn't matter which one you get as they perform *nearly* the same.

personally i love my black CD macbook! :cool:

:rolleyes:

Optional87 said:
Core 2 Duo machines have 802.11n cards that can be enabled, dual layer superdrives (for the 2.0ghz models), double the stock ram of the Core Duo machines (for the 2.0ghz models), 64-bit processing, and about 20-30 minutes of more battery life.
Looks like I was wrong. You want a cookie? :rolleyes:
 
Looks like I was wrong. You want a cookie? :rolleyes:

Why yes, I would. I believe it would alleviate the feeling of being completely overlooked.

I actually make pretty much the exact same post in every single thread about this comparison; and for some reason nobody else says them all in one post like that...
 
Why yes, I would. I believe it would alleviate the feeling of being completely overlooked.

I actually make pretty much the exact same post in every single thread about this comparison; and for some reason nobody else says them all in one post like that...

Chocolate chip? :p

I know what you mean. It can be annoying when people don't seem to read the thread at all and make a post. Honest mistake on my part and I apologize. You weren't completely overlooked though.. nice macbook upgrades you got. I hope to do the same to my macbook (minus the n card) this week. Since we're on the topic of that, which 160GB drive did you get? Newegg has the WD Scorpio 160GB drive for $105 and I'm quite tempted to get that over the Hitachi model ($120) but the reviews for the Scorpio says it's quite power hungry..
 
Chocolate chip? :p

I know what you mean. It can be annoying when people don't seem to read the thread at all and make a post. Honest mistake on my part and I apologize. You weren't completely overlooked though.. nice macbook upgrades you got. I hope to do the same to my macbook (minus the n card) this week. Since we're on the topic of that, which 160GB drive did you get? Newegg has the WD Scorpio 160GB drive for $105 and I'm quite tempted to get that over the Hitachi model ($120) but the reviews for the Scorpio says it's quite power hungry..

Seagate PMR model. 5400rpm.

Power consumption on drives is very low and should not adversely effect your battery life.
 
Well I got my refurbed Macbook yesterday. I transfered some stuff over using my ipod pretty easily, though for some reason I had to reboot for it to except the itunes folder. Photos transfered over with no problems. This is my first time using OSX so I'm having some problems with no right click, windows not expanding to full size, and the fact that closing a window doesn't close the program.

One problem I hoping someone can help me with is firefox not installing into the application folders. Firefox always seems to install onto the desktop and then I can only copy it into the applications folder. How do I move the whole file and/or get it to install in the right place to begin with?
 
One problem I hoping someone can help me with is firefox not installing into the application folders. Firefox always seems to install onto the desktop and then I can only copy it into the applications folder. How do I move the whole file and/or get it to install in the right place to begin with?

When you download a .dmg file it's kind of like a .zip file. When double click on it, it will mount the "image" on your desktop. You can then drag the contents into your application folder and be done with it. Applications on a Mac are generally contained within one "file" so when you "Copy the file" to the applications folder, you're really installing the whole program. You can then unmount the image from your desktop and delete the .dmg file.
 
Back
Top