• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

C2D System Problem

overclocker578

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
216
I Just got my C2D system together and am already having problems. When I start the system the fans, hds, etc. all go on but no post, no beeps, no video. When I remove both sticks of ram it begins to beep. I have tried swapping the ram and it is compatible with the motherboard (per the manual).

Here are my sytem specs
C2D E6300
Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi Edition
(2 *512mb) 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-800
Ultra X-Finity 500W power supply
7600GT
80Gb IDE HD
Sony DVD Burner

Any suggestions?
Thanks :)
 
When you say you tried swapping the ram, what do you mean? Did you try only one stick of ram? do you have a DDR2-533 stick of ram you could try? What motherboard is it? Does it have the latest BIOS?
 
enginurd said:
When you say you tried swapping the ram, what do you mean? Did you try only one stick of ram? do you have a DDR2-533 stick of ram you could try? What motherboard is it? Does it have the latest BIOS?

Yup, I tried one stick of the ram. I unfortunately have no other sticks around. The manual says that the mobo supports this type of DDR-800. I am using the ASUS P5B-Deluxe Wifi Edition. Im not sure if it has the latest bios, but the box does confirm that it supports C2D.
 
Try reseating the CPU. Make sure you're doing this on a cardboard box, with just the essentials plugged in to get the system to POST (mobo/cpu/ram/vidcard). Since the board beeps when no ram is inserted, that leads me to believe the board is fine. You may have some bad ram or a bad cpu. Borrow a stick of ram from a friend or something, if reseating the cpu doesnt do anything.
 
enginurd said:
Try reseating the CPU. Make sure you're doing this on a cardboard box, with just the essentials plugged in to get the system to POST (mobo/cpu/ram/vidcard). Since the board beeps when no ram is inserted, that leads me to believe the board is fine. You may have some bad ram or a bad cpu. Borrow a stick of ram from a friend or something, if reseating the cpu doesnt do anything.

I did some research and found out this is a common problem with these boards. Do you know if any of the flipping the CMOS battery tricks work?
 
I had the same problem with my Asus motherboard. (Model: P4C800 Deluxe)

Here's a good thing to try, Asus boards have a sound error thingmajig on it (sorry, brain is off now)

Anyways, plug some speakers into your motherboard (green sound port) and see if the motherboard reports anything. It should be a female voice.


-----

Just to let you know what happened to me...

My motherboard reported "System failed CPU Test" and after hundreds of attempts to troubleshoot it, I figured out the CPU socket randomly broke. I would have to push my heatsink with full force in order for my system to boot. If I didn't apply FULL force to the cpu, it would report System failed CPU test. Totally a defect not made on my part.

Asus RMA was totally a piece of shit, and I'm now sketchy to buy from Asus again. I sent it the first time to RMA($10 each time), and they sent me back the same board with a paper stating they updated the BIOS. I ALREADY told them that this did not work for me in my highly detailed summary. I RMA'd again and put in huge letters on everything "REPLACING BIOS DOES NOT WORK, DO NOT DO THIS"

I did end up getting a refurb'd replacement board this time that had OTHER issues(rebooted at any random time it wanted too). I spent so much time trying to fix it, that I ended up selling it because I didn't want to waste anymore of my life trying to fix the worthless pos.

What is funny is the new motherboard I recieved had a different NEW serial number sticker, but the SAME CPU SOCKET (I had a grey smudge on it, and I doubt the same exact smudge was on this one)

Asus THUMBS DOWN!
 
Luxor said:
I had the same problem with my Asus motherboard. (Model: P4C800 Deluxe)

Here's a good thing to try, Asus boards have a sound error thingmajig on it (sorry, brain is off now)

Anyways, plug some speakers into your motherboard (green sound port) and see if the motherboard reports anything. It should be a female voice.


-----

Just to let you know what happened to me...

My motherboard reported "System failed CPU Test" and after hundreds of attempts to troubleshoot it, I figured out the CPU socket randomly broke. I would have to push my heatsink with full force in order for my system to boot. If I didn't apply FULL force to the cpu, it would report System failed CPU test. Totally a defect not made on my part.

Asus RMA was totally a piece of shit, and I'm now sketchy to buy from Asus again. I sent it the first time to RMA($10 each time), and they sent me back the same board with a paper stating they updated the BIOS. I ALREADY told them that this did not work for me in my highly detailed summary. I RMA'd again and put in huge letters on everything "REPLACING BIOS DOES NOT WORK, DO NOT DO THIS"

I did end up getting a refurb'd replacement board this time that had OTHER issues(rebooted at any random time it wanted too). I spent so much time trying to fix it, that I ended up selling it because I didn't want to waste anymore of my life trying to fix the worthless pos.

What is funny is the new motherboard I recieved had a different NEW serial number sticker, but the SAME CPU SOCKET (I had a grey smudge on it, and I doubt the same exact smudge was on this one)

Asus THUMBS DOWN!

Nope, no voice. When everything is inside the system no beeps at all.
 
Here's some things I tried.. believe me, I tried everything on the internet. First, see if the motherboard reports an error via sound.

1) Clear CMOS (really easy to do, let us know if you need help doing this)

2) If Clear CMOS doesn't work, you can take the watch looking battery out of your motherboard for ~30 seconds, then put it back in. Try booting up.

3) I have heard of lots of problems with the memory on new motherboards. The problem lies with the ram voltage (something like it has to be 1.8) Your ram might be 2.0... what you have to do is get some crap ram (or some from a friend) that runs at the default memory speed of the motherboard, then go into the BIOS and change the speed to your good ram.

Hope this helps!
 
Bad news...
When I removed the stupid Intel heatsink, I found that it damaged some of the traces and scraped the some of the top layer of the pcb :( . Is it likely that this is the problem? Looks like its RMA time...................................... :mad:
 
Ram voltage & timings are changed in the bios..

That board requires dual channel, ddr2 memory doesnt it? I'm assuming you're using DDR2... regular DDR shouldn't fit.

Did clearing the CMOS as a previous poster suggested work?

Bad news...
When I removed the stupid Intel heatsink, I found that it damaged some of the traces and scraped the some of the top layer of the pcb . Is it likely that this is the problem? Looks like its RMA time......................................

can you clarify? Did you scratch the mobo? pictures would help =)
 
Back
Top